what is the point of this???? v.facebook

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Athlete218, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Athlete218

Athlete218 New Member

ok, so i meet this really attractive & cool girl, get her number & a few days later receive a friend request from her on facebook. i add her of course & look at some of her pictures on there (so i know she had a bunch, like 700+). then a few days later i notice she blocked me (or maybe a whole group of people i really dont know?) from seeing pictures & wall posts. then last night she texts me saying she'd like to go out on a date w/ me to get to know me better, this week.

y block me from seeing pictures & wall posts if she is supposedly interested & askin me to go out w/ her this wk?

2. just_another_on

just_another_on New Member

Its facebook who cares? Maybe she blocked all her photos?

She said she wants to get to know you better, go out with her and then if you feel its right/necassary ask her whats up.

All in all, in the end, who gives a fuck its facebook.

Set up a date and stop worrying about shit that doesnt matter. Maybe she has a b/f, or just getting over a relationship, who gives a shit.

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:rofl: Because she realized you could basically snoop through everything (which you did) of her past and she figured that wasn't the smartest idea.

There have been threads in here even where guys got the friend request, looked through all the girls photos and past comments and already started to judge and assume things based on what they saw.

She wants you to get to know her yourself.

4. ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral Hope and Irony OT Supporter

My shit is open to anyone and everyone whether they're my friends or not. I think people who hide shit are crazy. That said, fuck it. People be crazy.

5. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

She blocked everyone calm down...

6. teep

teep New Member

It can get weird now that it's open to everyone. My friend has had many professors friend request her and one even asked her out via facebook. :mamoru:

You might be able to get in trouble professionally too depending on where you work and who goes through your shit.

7. ForgottenSpiral

See but I don't do anything that could get me in trouble. :rofl: I have nothing to hide. I don't give a shit if people want to know what TV shows I watch or look at my pictures. Why should I? :dunno: Hell, I'd like a stalker as long as she's semi-cute.

8. just_another_on

YOU dont.

That doesnt mean the rest of us dont :mamoru:

9. ForgottenSpiral

:rofl: Well even when I did, I wasn't shy about it. I've never been one to hide things about myself. I just don't see the point.

10. C.W.

C.W. OT Supporter

I wouldnt think much of it. She probably blocked a group of people or something.

11. Bob Brown

Bob Brown bewshit, bewshit, bewshit

:werd:

12. ForgottenSpiral

Seriously? What do you people do that could get you in trouble professionally? Drugs? I can't really think of anything else unless you just like to complain about your job on Facebook.

Edit: Like I said, I don't believe in hiding shit about myself, but that said if I were to keep secrets, I sure as hell wouldn't post them on Facebook anyway.

13. Bob Brown

Sometimes you just never know what bugs other people, and in a career sense, it's better to be safe than sorry. I would rather keep making money, while hiding some things from my bosses/colleagues than show everyone in the world what I do and be homeless.
    It might even be the littlest thing as "I didn't like the expression on your face that you made on that one facebook picture" or "Oh......you hang out with those kind of people?"

14. ForgottenSpiral

:rofl: If the people I work for are gonna fire me over some BS like that then I don't want to work for them anyway.

15. Bob Brown

yea but when you got student loans to pay off and the job is high paying, I'd stick around with the bullshit for a couple years just to pay it off as quickly as I can and then have the rest of my life to do what I want without having to worry about debt.
    Oh and its not just getting fired.......other times its also due to reputation, cause we all know everyone's gossipy.

16. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

Because great people can still be judgmental retards who start boxing you into some stereotype. You probably have the theory, "If they don't like the truth about me I don't want them as friends anyway," but that is just a rationalization to not have to care what people think; good for peace of mind, bad for meeting cool people who you would actually like and respect.

Obviously, there is a balance of openness to privacy that works best. I am not saying you should be fake or not put your real self put there; just that there are sometimes certain things to save for later for practical reasons.

17. just_another_on

Holy fucking triple repost JJJ :rofl;

18. JohnJohnJohnson

Fixed :o

19. JohnJohnJohnson

For example I am in a supercorporate environment at work so I play down anything unconventional about myself, by omission. Then if someone gets to know me and Emily a lot better I relax the information boundaries.

There are lots of analogous bits of pragmatism for people in the social / non-corporate world.

20. Deborah

Deborah Seeing is believing, but I don't want to know.

seems like you were never tagged in an inappropriatepic in facebook. My photoes and everything used to be open to all, but not any more. I just don't see any reason for all people to be able to have access to them. Facebook literally annoys me recently,lol.I have a friend who had a stalker, the guy gets her picture, change it like they are together and tag her on facebook again.

21. ForgottenSpiral

Well there are two issues here. One, what is considered inappropriate, and two, why do something inappropriate? I live by a code of ethics and generally don't do anything outside of that. So I wouldn't do it if it was inappropriate in that sense. I take full responsibilty of what I have done, however, and if someone sees something I've done as inappropriate, then I see that as their issue not mine. If they want to talk to me about it, I'll happy explain myself, but beyond that I don't see why it matters.

I mean what is your definition of inappropriate? Being drunk? Kissing a stranger? Walking on grass that says "Do not walk on the grass"? I don't see any reason why a job should care about these things. The only type of job I could see this mattering in would be if you were doing PR for someone or some organization and your public image was of great importance. On a general level though, I fail to see why what you do in your personal time has anything to do with your work.

22. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

Facebook is such a pain in the ass sometimes :rofl:

I wouldn't worry about it, she probably blanket changed her privacy settings.

That being said, on the general note of facebook privacy, I gave in and set all photos tagged of me to private a long time ago and have very limited information on my facebook now. I have plenty of albums I've made myself that people can view. I have certain people blocked from my status updates as sometimes people say ridiculous shit, and don't really want coworkers or the new influx of adults [friend's parents, old teachers, etc.] who have added me on facebook seeing that type of stuff.

It has nothing to do with being some amoral person and having stuff to "hide," but it's like JJJ said, people are idiots and make snap decisions all the time.

I even noticed in the "people you may know" boxes, the lady whose kids I've babysat for 7 years keeps popping up, which freaks me out... I'm sure I've popped up in hers, so I'm glad my profile pic or whatever is appropriate. She is *definitely* a person I would NOT be comfortable viewing my facebook, etc.

PR is not the only workplace where image matters.

I agree there may be no reason that a job should care about those things, but the fact of the matter is, they do. Denying the reality of the situation simply because it's stupid doesn't change the fact that it's the way things are.

23. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

heres a good solution, log off of facebook.

24. ForgottenSpiral

Can you give me an example of where else this would be an issue? Because I still don't get it. If the DoD doesn't give a shit about my Facebook then I have a hard time understanding why somewhere else would.

25. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

I'm in healthcare.

People have started delving into people's personal lives, which really is a no-no, but that doesn't matter, and started making ridiculous connections between people's personal lives and their maturity/ability/integrity to do their job.

Not just that, but you'd be surprised how common it is for people to look people up on facebook/myspace when choosing different facilities that were their person of contact at the facility, or even after the fact, in influencing their decisions. I've had people add me that I've been their parent's social worker-ish which freaked the crap out of me and there's no way I'd ever add them on my facebook.

It's not like I have these terrible, agregious things on my facebook by any means. But knowing how judgemental people are, there's certainly things I wouldn't want work-related people to see on there.