What is the ideal cardio?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Satellite, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satellite

Satellite Guest

What time of the day? What type of cardio? Where should my heart rate be? and for how long?

From what I have been reading it should be first thing in the morning, before I even have my morning shake. I should hop on the treadmill and keep the heart rate over 130.

Is this wrong? I have never had a problem cutting weight before. I always adjusted the diet. Now that I am getting older I have to change things.

2. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

i personally feel that none at all is ideal

3. Satellite

Satellite Guest

28 240lbs 6'0

17% bf Bench 405 Squat 430 Dead 450.

4. Satellite

Satellite Guest

For my schedule it would be better to lift for an hour and a half and do a half hour cardio right after. Is this bad? I would like to get down around 10%bf and keep my strength where it is.

5. SolidRanger

SolidRanger New Member

I'm gonna assume your goal is weight loss here. I'm not exactly an expert on this, but I have used cardio to lose over 80lbs so I might be able to empart some wisdom.

From my experience one of the best methods of doing cardio is the following:
    • Do your cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, but make sure you drink enough water.
    • Do a cycle. For example, if you're doing treadmill then start at a slow walk, then increase the the speed every minute or so. After about 5 minutes you should be at a pretty quick pace, but not your maximum. Then drop it back down to a walk and repeat until you reach 20 minutes.
    • Yes, I said 20 minutes, that's all it takes.
    That's all I did 3 days a week, alternating with weight training.

6. mandrew

mandrew New Member

that's a big bench

7. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

70-80% of MHR for 40 mins, on a treadmill or eliptical seems pretty good.

8. ulter

ulter AFBoard owner

Your timing is right. You need to be doing intervals though. Windsprints are best. Do 1 minute as fast as your little legs will carry you and then 4 minutes on 4-5, for an hour.

9. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

as someone who has always worked my ass off to keep bodyfat down, i've always found morning cardio (before eating anything) to be the best way.

At one point I was running 4 miles everyday on a treadmill in the afternoon and getting the same results as 25 minutes (~1.5 miles) of lower intensity runnning on an elliptical in the morning on an empty stomach.

10. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

arctrainer for an hour first thing in the am, moderate pace, empty stomach, sip on BCAA's during.

But that is ideal for me....maybe not you.

11. Satellite

Satellite Guest

More like weak Squat/Dead. I am pretty unbalanced right now.

12. BAC_311

BAC_311 New Member

MHR = max heart rate.

it's 220 - AGE = your MHR

so for me

220 - 25 = 195 Max heart rate.

working at a Heart rate (BPM) of around 75-80% of your MHR I've read (that would be 146 to 156 BPM for me), is best for burning fat. According to the same muscle and fitness mag, the pace at which it just becomes difficult to talk to someone is around the rate that you want to burn fat.

but that's just one theory i read.

I learned from Pur that 40 mins of low-impact cardio (eliptical on lowest incline and resistance) is generally good, and I followed that a couple years ago with a good diet and training and got pretty lean.

now i'm goin for a higher heart rate, i put the ramp on 6 and do a 14 resistance on the eliptical so that my heart rate goes anywhere between 145 and 155. I actually like this rate, gets me sweating real good and breathing up a bit.

13. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

well then you is a bitch

14. Satellite

Satellite Guest

How far apart should cardio and lifting be? And how bad is it if I can't separate them?

15. ulter

ulter AFBoard owner

It doesn't matter as long as you do cardio after you weight train.

16. Satellite

Satellite Guest

So it won't interfere with muscle gains?

17. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

Dont expect to gain much, if any, muscle while in a calorie deficit and cutting weight. It is still to your benefit to weight train hard as it will help you maintain the LBM you already have and avoid the dreaded "skinny-fat"

18. T_Dawgg

T_Dawgg son of god

On the eliptical machines at my gym it shows a "fat burning" range and a "cardio" range. The fat burning range is a lower HR than the cardio. If I maintain a HR in the cardio range does that mean I'll be burning less fat? I can't see that as being true as the harder you work the more calories you will be burning, so the greater the weight loss. Am I correct in this assumption?

19. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

same thing crossed my mind

big three are close together

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.