What is The Differnets in Intel 845 PE and SiS 648?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KOVENANT, Feb 25, 2003.

1. KOVENANT

KOVENANT Highland Farms 4Ever

What is The Difference in Intel 845 PE and SiS 648?

i got asus motherboard
    Asus P4PE Intel 845 Chpset with ddr 333 mhz support and up to 3.06 Ghz /2G memory/4x agp/

In Bios i can choose Memory (mhz)- 266/333/355

My friend got Asus p4s8x SiS 648 Chipset
    8x agp/ata 133/3G memory/up to 2.53 Ghz

in bios he can choose memory mhz 100/155/200 but maximum 200 why? what is the difference between chipstes Sis 648 and Intel 845 ? what is better?

Thank You.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2003
  2. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

Re: What is The Difference in Intel 845 PE and SiS 648?

They should both be dealing with DDR memory, but it sounds like your BIOS is giving you the doubled speed where as his is the real speed. If you want to do fair comparisons, then double his settings. I am surprised that his doesn't have 133 and 166 available as those are the more common speeds for memory.
    In other words, 100 in his is 200 in yours,
    133 in his is 266 in yours,
    166 in his is 333 in yours, and
    200 in his is 400 in yours.
    Now differences between the chipsets? Manufacturer is a big difference, but his also supports AGP 8X while yours does not. His offers DDR400 support as well while yours stops at DDR333 support, but I think the Intel chipset can do DDR400 if desired. That isn't really a benefit in either case, it's just a difference. As for the manufacturers, Intel does a lot of testing of their products, and that usually results in fewer compatibility and stability issues than other manufacturers. With that said, I will often purchase motherboards with chipsets made by other manufacturers because they are cheaper.
    Which is better? That, my friend, is an eternal debate...

3. KOVENANT

KOVENANT Highland Farms 4Ever

4. eviltommy

eviltommy Guest

the sis648 chipset sucks.. the only reason the sis645 was decent was because: it was ahead of its tim with ddr333 support and could overclock a 1.6a or 1.8a to 2.4+ in seconds. personally i have the asus p4pe right now and im running a 2.53 @ 3ghz /w ddr420 :big grin:DD

5. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

My understanding is that the 648 just replaced the 645. All the same features but added DDR400 support and AGP 8X. I am wondering how you can justify saying a chipset sucks when it has more features than an almost identical chipset that you call decent. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but maybe I'm just stupid.:slap:

6. eviltommy

eviltommy Guest

ehh they incorporated a new southbridge with usb2 and shit, it sucks because ddr400 wasnt stable and like i said earlier i coudlnt overclock for shit...

intel chipset + intel cpu = best stability