GUN what is the difference between the m4a1 and ar15?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by rob, Mar 27, 2004.

1. rob

rob Guest

I play CS and to be honest don't know anytthing about these guns, but people post posts of "AR15"'s and they look like the M4A1 in CS, whats the differences? you cant buy m4a1's anymore i think? arent there AK47s that are like AR15's, i dont know help me :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc:

2. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

M4A1 is going to be select fire. I believe it has a 14.5in barrel. You can easily make a fake M4 with the exception it won't be select fire unless you have the means of going through the necessary processes to do so. You basically need either a 14.5in with a added muzzle brake for postban or flash hider for preban to make it the necessary 16in in length to avoid it becoming an SBR. Also the uppers have the M4 feed cuts. M4 handguards and if you want...a non collapasable pinned postban carbine stock or a collapsable preban carbine stock. Depending on the date of the lower's creation determines whether or not the rifle can be in preban or postban form.

Thats most of it. Hopefully it makes sense to you :) Others will have plenty of info as well.

3. nufankixass

nufankixass Guest

dude are you serious??

4. rob

rob Guest

did you not read the part where i said i know NOTHING AT all about this? Sorry I'm not born with all this info like you

:ugh: :moon:

5. rob

rob Guest

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Here's my AR-15 in M4 configuration (minus full-auto parts):

[​IMG]

Also, the M4 has a 14.5" barrel, ramp cuts in the chamber, and the "step down" for mounting a M203. There is also the following:

M16A4 which is a flat top with a 20" barrel and the modular handguards.

Also, AR-15s come in many configurations. You can go with the A1 style that has basically fixed sights and can have full auto in the M16 varient; this can be 16 or 20 inches.

The A2 style has an A2 sight system that allows for windage and elevation adjustments. In the M16 varient, they went to 3-round burst instead of f/a fire. Also available in 16 or 20".

Then, the A3. This is about the same as the above except this has the removable carry handle so you can mount optics. This is 3-round burst in M16 designation.

7. rob

rob Guest

thanks for the info :wavey:

8. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Oh yea.. Heres mine.. [​IMG]

Mine is a Rock River Arms upper with a 16in barrel and fake flash hider pressed over the end of the barrel which keeps it at 16in.

9. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

god i love that pic. :o how much did yours cost with and without the accessories?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Without -- $750 for the lower; $500 for the upper.

Accessoriezed. Damn, I really hate to say. I think I have about $2,400 in it.

11. Jago

:eek:

12. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

USMC, what the hell did you buy, a KAC? jesucristo, that's a lot of money. i could get an entire bushmaster complete rifle for $750.

13. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Stripped pre-ban Olympic lower: $750
    DPMS parts kit: $55
    Pre-ban Bushmaster M4 upper: $500
    Bushmaster telestock: $100
    Knights RAS: $275
    Knights panel kit: $75
    Knights single point QD sling attachment: $20
    Knights Aimpoint mount: $110
    A.R.M.S. #40 BUIS: $99
    GG&G front and rear QD Sling Things: $80
    GG&G single point sling attachment: $25
    Hogue grip: $10
    Surefire M900A: $550
    Aimpoint CompML: $325

Hot damn! Worse than I thought -- $2,974.00 (plus shipping charges on almost everything).

I look at it this way: the stuff was bought piece by piece so it wasn't like I laid down $3k all in one pop. If someone had offered me a rifle just like mine for that price all at one time, I would have passed. However, that is what makes the AR great, you can build it as you go and swap parts here and there between other rifles. Hell, I have probably been through 5 or 6 lowers with 8/9 uppers. Now, I am down to two ARs...

14. Jago

:eek2:

15. OPM Inc.

OPM Inc. OT Supporter

It's so beautiful. :wtc: Damn california.

16. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Its the preban lower and Surefire M900 that add so much of the cost to his rifle it looks like. It all does look very nice though :)
    Without the M900 and Preban lower you are looking at a little under 2k which is alot. I think I spent around $1600 on my setup.