what is the difference analog and digital flat panel LCD?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by illmaticnyc, Feb 11, 2005.

1. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

i have no idea

2. chips

chips ...

DVI connection or VGA im guessing

3. dijital

dijital New Member

also having to do with the way the signals convert from the video card to the monitor. i dont know all the specifics about it though.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

one looks good (digital) and the other doesn't (analog)

5. Dominion

Dominion I believe you have my stapler.

Not true, my analog at home looks fucking awesome. I've seen worse digital LCD's.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

analog looks perfectly fine.

7. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

Analog has to go through a conversion process from the videocard to the monitor (digital -> analog). Digital just stays digital the whole time (digital -> digital). If you're really nit picky about image quality, then digital (DVI) is best, but for the average computer user or even gamer, either one is just fine.

8. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

IMO, it's like getting an A on a test compared to getting an A+. Sure, the A+ is slightly better, but the A is still a very good score.

A = Analog
    A+ = digital

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I can honestly tell the difference between two identical monitors, one using an analog source, and one using DVI. The DVI is almost always more crisp -- and color reproduction is more acurate.

10. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Not true...It always depends on the monitor. If your monitor has a decent ADC in it, then yes, it will look good. If it has a POS ADC in it, get ready for a SHIT ASS IMAGE.

I have a generic Norwood Micro 15" LCD with a 16ms response time, AND IT ROCKS. It's analog, but you could never be able to tell. It rocks for gaming, and it has an AUO (Acer) panel, which are the best of the best.

11. Dominion

I use a 19 inch Acer and it's better than some of the 19inch name brand LCD's I've seen.

12. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

how are the analog dell lcd monitors?

13. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

The analog Dell monitors have an AMAZING image, even better than mine. I use them in my PC lab at school every day.

However, they are built like crap, i.e. cheap plastic, lack of metal, etc. and wouldn't survive being moved around much.

Personally I would stay away from them, and buy a decent LCD, such as a Benq (Acer), or Samsung (Especially Benq; I have an Acer panel in mine and it is orgasmic).

14. Dominion

Yea get the 19inch Acer. You can pick up a 19inch Acer from newegg for 300$, mine was 320 shipped and it's NICE. I go as far to say it was 100x better than my 17inch CRT. The picture is nice and crisp. The only complaint i've had with it so far is that it's a bit too dark to play Final Fantasy 11, but I turned up the Gamma two notches and that problem went away quick. I've played all kinds of games, fast games, slow games, RTS's, flash games. Not a single thing I've played has ghosted in any shape or fashion.

Now the top Samsungs, and NEC, those name brands. I've seen ghosting as compared to mine. Which is why I love my monitor so much :p

15. SEPHROTH64

SEPHROTH64 Guest

analog is fine, dvi is better :p

mmmm dual lcd's....

16. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

All LCDs are inherently digital. You will not find an analog LCD panel. It can have an analog input or a digital input or both, but the LCD itself will always be digital. The quality difference between the two inputs will depend greatly on your video card and your LCD monitor. For the most part, the digital input should be better but it is not guaranteed. The quality of the analog signal will depend on the DAC in your video card (they all should be fairly high quality) and the ADC in your LCD (probably depends greatly from one brand to another). The quality of the digital signal will depend on the DVI output of your video card. Since everything in the computer is in the digital realm, there is no need for a conversion and the video signal is kept completely digital all the way to the monitor. The quality will also depend on the LCD monitor. I have heard of some monitors that take the digital signal, run it through a DAC to convert the signal to analog, then join the signal with VGA input, and then run the signal to a ADC and finally display the image. If this is the case, the analog signal might actually look better than the digital input. I would hope all LCD monitors like this have all been discontinued and no longer available.