What is the diff between these 2 WEGAs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by slfmade, Jun 5, 2003.

1. slfmade

slfmade New Member

2. Phil02E46

Phil02E46 mystash.org

i seriously hope you are joking. right off the bat you can tell one is plasma the other is a projection tv. if money is not an issue go plasma, otherwise the projection would work fine, unless you haev a very small basement

3. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

its hard to tell in those pictures but one hangs on the wall like a picture the other is a normal big tv

4. slfmade

slfmade New Member

im not, whats plasma?
    i know its a newer technology or whatever, but is it worth the 8k difference?

5. pooshda

pooshda Guest

The TV is literally as thick as your hand, you can hang it on the wall... Its the "latest trend" in blowing a huge chunk of money on a tv basically... they provide a VERY good picture as well, but honestly a high end Projection HDTV with an equally good video source can provide nearly the same quality image... I have looked at both and sometimes I almost prefer the RPTV, but both deliver AMAZING pictures if you are dealing with high end equipment... Its a lot more costly to build a 3" thick tv using newer technology I would assume, thats probably a good amount of the price difference aside from the appeal of a flat tv... almost seems like they would be cheaper to build though, less parts.

6. slfmade

slfmade New Member

Okay, so if this TV will just be used for watching DVDs and playing PS2 and stuff on the weekends and stuff, and isnt gonna be the main tv than just go with the RPTV WEGA?

7. pooshda

pooshda Guest

I would... but if you have the money and that plasma screen does not hurt your wallet too much, Id probably buy the plasma... without you really knowing and appreciating it for what it is... You would probably be perfectly happy with the rear projection though, I have a RP HDTV and I absolutely love it.

There is a thing called Burn-In which can occur on a RPTV though when you play video games or leave a still object on it for an extended period of time... the image can get burned into the screen like a computer monitor, but that applies to almost anything. If you are careful and dont let a still image sit on the screen for a long time you are fine I have played games on mine for years, its good to watch a little tv or something afterwards with fully moving images though. At least I think so.

They often advise not to play games on them, if you are careful its fine though. It says dont play games on my tv right in the manual :rolleyes:

8. Phil02E46

Phil02E46 mystash.org

if the plasma isn't going to put a dent in funds, i say go for it, otherwise the RP will be more than enough for you guys.