what is the consensus on the Nissan Frontier?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Pinan, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Pinan

Pinan pagan holidays > * other holidays

I'm considering one. The supercharged one, preferably.
    Anyone know anything about these? Can you do anything with the powerplant?

2. Pospodo

Pospodo came for the pron but stayed for teh lulz

Just my thoughts:
    If you are looking for that size/type of a truck, go with a Tacoma. They are a lot more popular (at least here in the south) and there is absolutely NO doubt in anyone's mind of Toyota reliability.
    I wish I had one.. Or a Tundra... mmmmmmmm

3. notJoeKing

notJoeKing Guest

With the supercharger, it finally becomes competative with the other truck in it's class. Aren't you glad they supercharged it?!?!?! :rolleyes:

4. newchic

newchic Guest

Isn't the Toyota a good deal more expensive?

5. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

For a truck I guess it's alright, would rather get a Dodge or something though if I was going to get a pick-em-up.

6. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

I just did a side by side comparo for you off the Nissan site itself
    http://compare.nissandriven.com/advantages.asp?benchmark=615869&comp1=151339&comp2=

Right off the bat the Nissan costs $6000 more. It only has 20 more horespower than the Tacoma. But with the supercharger don't forget you have to buy premium fuel. And 20 horsepower is not a huge difference. The biggest advantage I see to the Frontier is that it has four doors while the Tacoma only has 2.

7. LUDECHRIS

LUDECHRIS Guest

Well i did this research not too long ago. If you are going for the N/A v6 frontier, then it is definitely a much better deal than the tacoma v6 or even 4cyl for that matter. However, the supercharged one is a tad bit pricey. i was looking to spend around 18k. I decided to go w/ the frontier and got it for 17500 out the door. Also, i was looking for 5spd w/ 4x4 suspension, toyota doesn't even offer that. I was gonna get the 4 cyl 5spd tacoma ext cab w/ 2wd suspension, but then i saw the light and found out about the frontiers. Im very happy w/ my truck, has pretty much everything i wanted. ~=o)

8. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

Hmmmmm.....I really do not see the MANY advantages of the Frontier over the Tacoma.

Your post is not really clear though...are you talking about the reg cab Tacoma/Frontier in your post?

-Rob

9. LUDECHRIS

LUDECHRIS Guest

Sorry...

Um...i ended up getting the XE V6 King Cab Desert Runner 5spd 4x2. The tacomas i priced were a 4x2 5spd 4cyl. extended cab and a Prerunner extended cab. The prerunner was over my budget, so the only comparable tacoma in the same price range as my nissan was the 4cyl 5spd. So i think i got a better deal with the nissan.

10. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

The 4x2 Tacoma PreRunner with the V6 and A/T was more expensive than the Frontier DesertRunner? By how much?

The PreRunner TRD package is a great package man, and the V6 has more hp and torque than the Frontiers engine. Not to mention the quickness in shifting with the PWR mode engaged on the A/T which also makes a big difference in the sand or on the trail.

You also get a bulletproof electric factory locker with that deal AND Bilstein shocks all around, something that will cost you mucho dineros if you pick it up in the aftermarket for the Frontier. Any 2wd PreRunner is going to be pretty damn useless in the sand without a locker.

Anyhow, not bashing your truck, Frontiers are great town trucks in stock form, just not quite as capable off road in stock trim. I personally think that the Tacoma could be a priced a little better myself, too. They are expensive.

-Rob

11. LUDECHRIS

LUDECHRIS Guest

First off....i wasn't look for an auto...so the prerunner wasn't going to work for me. Second, it was gonna be somewhere near 18-19k out the door for the prerunner i believe. And that for a 4 cyl. For my budget...i think the frontier was a better buy.:wavey:

12. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

True enough, budget constraints are often a very big factor when buying new....can't say I can point a finger a Nissan there.

Just be careful not to get into an accident though, man....that plastic front bumper is not confidence inspiring....especially after seeing a couple of them *explode* upon impact this past winter. Get a grille guard, if you don't already have one.

-Rob

13. LUDECHRIS

LUDECHRIS Guest

Im getting a guard .... but even without that....the plastic only a bumper cover. I mean it does have a metal bumper behind that, just like most any other car.

14. Pat McCrotch

Pat McCrotch Guest

I have a 2001 Frontier S/C CC and love it. It has been a great truck and I have already logged 25 K miles on it. In my area, it was about $3,500 cheaper than a similarly equipped Taco. If I were to add the S/C to the Taco, I would have been looking at a price difference that was much greater. My only complaints are that the rear seat is smaller than that in the Taco and having to pump premium isn't that much fun...

There are some good owners sites out there for both. www.nissanfrontier.net is one and the other is Tacoma Territory (TTORA). Good luck!

15. Get a Dakota Sport 4X4 =)

16. Pat McCrotch

Pat McCrotch Guest

Pinan,

I forgot to add that there are a few mods for the power plant. You can get intakes and cat-back exhausts. There is also a pulley swap that can get you running up to 12lbs of boost. Spencer Low Racing make large bore throttle plates and cams for the truck as well and should have headers coming out by the end of the year. Good luck with your decision.

17. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

Great looking truck......but that's where it stops.

Sorry man, but I really don't think I'd like to watch my truck spit it's tranny out every 35,000 miles.

-Rob

18. Ya know thats what most people i talk to say but mine is now at 55,000 miles and my transmission hasnt had any problems yet. Perhaps im lucky:)

19. whydah

whydah Guest

here's the reality ...............the facts:
    the nissans are more car than truck.
    great for urban street use, not for off road use or durability.
    i've tested both for work, trust me
    the toyota is mechanically superior, no opinion, look at the facts.
    the supercharger just gets the engine where it is supossed to be.
    you get what you pay for.
    whatever you pay more for, with the toy, u get it back in resale.