What is the better first bike? v. cruisers

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Toology, May 24, 2009.

1. Toology

Toology New Member

I've been shopping around on late 00 model preowned cruisers as my first bike, and I've narrowed it down to a handful and I'd like some input on what OT would choose.

Honda Shadow 750
    Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Yamaha V-Star
    Kawasaki Vulcan 900

now I'm a bigger guy, about 6'1, 215lbs... I was leaning towards the shadow till I actually went to a dealership and sat on an 05' and it just felt small under me. I dig the Boulevard for the price, I can get an 08' with 2-3k miles for 6k, and its a bit bigger of a bike and a lil more ccs, liquid cooled as well unlike the shadow.

Considering 6k is really my MAX i want to spend, and even then its a bit much, what do you guys think are my best options?

BTW: the dealership that I have been dealing with has about a half dozen of the Boulevard M50s... all 08' with 2-4k miles, and they want $5900 for each of them... kbb and NADA list price closer to $5100-$5500... am I going to have any luck printing nada and kbb reports out and tryin to push them down to $5500? (I have very limited experience with dealerships, cars or bikes... only purchased 1 vehicle in my life from a dealer so far). Would I be better off gettin them to come off a bit on price and throwing in a helmet?

edit: specifically this is the bike I'm most set on at the moment: http://www.fortcollinsmotorsports.c...3K2009J7I03I54JPMQ820R0&veh=54120&pov=1157647

2. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

boulevard would be my choice from that list, they're pretty cheap and seem pretty solid (my buddy has had one for awhile and it rides well).

you can negotiate with a bike dealership, especially with sales the way they are for many bike dealerships right now. I'd negotiate the hell out of them and buy my helmet on line, most helmets at most dealerships are marked up to crazy amounts. you can find more bang for the buck gear wise online, so negotiate the price of that bike as much as possible, when you feel comfy pull the trigger and enjoy.

3. KingOfBabTouma

KingOfBabTouma Hepinize daha iyiyim OT Supporter

You check out any of the Triumph cruisers? Bonneville America or Speedmaster are nice as well. Parallell twin engine and same cruiser seating position, jsut something else to consider.

4. CantDrv55

CantDrv55 New Member

This is like asking what is the best movie ever made, everyone is going to have a different opinion. Just get what you like best and feel most comfortable on.