what is the best way to incorporate swimming into an exercise regiment?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Sean6293, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

can swimming laps replace traditional cardio? i just joined a gym that has a pool and i love to swim so I'd like to maximize this opportunity. Any suggestions on how to do this?

FYI I'm starting a 12 week body transformation program and i would like to lose as much weight as possible. I feel like swimming laps will give me good cardio and work a lot more muscles then just running on an elliptical or using a stationary bike would. :dunno:

2. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

3. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

does it make a big difference how fast I'm swimming? do i need to get my heart rate up to my target cardio heart rate for the swimming to be effective or am i still enjoying the benefits if I swim at a modest pace?

4. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

just fucking swim. this isn't that difficult.

5. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

swimming is a pretty intense exercise that works alot of muscles, you don't need to race your ass off to get a good workout.

6. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

excuse me for asking a question in a fitness forum requesting specific information about fitness. my bad.

7. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

okay cool.

now, lets say i have 2 hours to spend at the gym, would i be better off swimming for two hours, or doing an hour on an elliptical and an hour in the pool?

8. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

You'd be better off lifting weights and then mixing up your cardio.

9. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

well yes. let me rephrase, if i have 2 hours allotted to cardio would i be better spent swimming for 2 or splitting it up?

10. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

this.

i'd say to switch off the cardio types as you would like and incorporate some kind of weight training, even if it's some light circuit training.

11. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

that probably comes down to personal preference but i think splitting it up would be better.

12. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

you gotta push yourself a bit, paddling around at a leisurely pace isn't going to cut it

13. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

well yes, i understand that. but i'm not in very good shape right now and i want to make sure that if i push myself in the pool but can't get myself to my target heart rate i'll still see some results.

I'm thinking i'l make my day at the gym follow a routine that follows this guideline:

1: 30-45 minutes on a stationary bike/treadmill/elliptical
    2: ~30 minutes lifting weights
    3: 5-10 minutes in jaccuzzi to relax muscles
    4: 30-45 minutes in the pool

sound like a good idea?

14. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Swimming is traditional cardio. As drago is saying, don't get caught up in heart rate bullshit. Just swim. Honestly it doesn't matter what type of cardio you do, all that matters is the intensity and duration. You should go by feel. Mix it up and make sure you keep pushing.

First priority should be lifting, after that cardio is good for burning some more calories and generally making you healthier. I use swimming mostly to help recovery from working out as it flushes out a lot of lactic acid and get's you moving. It's also one of the few exercises I can tolerate for an hour.

Two hours of cardio is probably an indication that you're not doing something else right. If you were lifting properly, 2 hours of cardio would be over training if you did it with any intensity on a regular basis. 2 hours of swimming if you have any form at all would be a long ass swim. That's what you'd do if you were doing a triathlon prep (probably your weekly long swim). I swim like a fat retarded kid and 2 hours would be 3 miles for me (>Ironman distance swim)

If you need help with form pick up the total immersion videos, they helped me a lot. They can be found on rapidshare as well.

15. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

You'd be better off with
    Day 1 - 30-40 minutes of heavy compound movements, large number of sets, low reps, low number of exercises
    Day 2 - Swim for however long you feel like
    Repeat

You can also alternate morning/evenings with cardio/lifting

2 hours in the gym is too long, one it's not practical, two it's not really that productive, your testosterone levels will be shot by the time your done with round one of cardio, your lifting won't be that great, then when you need to be eating you're doing more cardio.

Now if you only have 2 days in the gym, ok do both, but your lifting should be first and the cardio should be more recovery than anything

16. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

well, maybe i should rephrase and recatagorize my question and see if i can get more specific advise. I'm currently 26years old, 5'11" / 270lbs. i wear a 42" waist pants.

I've won a contest on a local radio station to be entered in a "Fit Club." I've won a 30 day membership to a local golds gym ( http://www.goldsgym.com/gyms/index.php?gymID=332 ) which includes a 12 week body transformation program ( http://www.goldsgym.com/intranet/doclib/gym0332_root/doc12-Week Transformation POP.pdf ) I've been successful with weight loss before. The summer after high school i lost 50lbs in about 3 months by doing a low carb diet and roller blading 11miles 4-5 times a week + running on an elliptical machine i had in my house every day. Since then I've worked as a waiter and gained all the weight back by eating restaurant crap every night.

Since then i've stopped eating at work and learned how to adapt to a weight watcher style diet and i'm planning on going back on a similar diet for my 12 week transformation. I'm not sure it will be as effective as a low carb diet, but its MUCH easier to stay on, especially since i don't have 3 months of responsibility free lifestyle like i did last time i lost a lot of weight. So i think i have the diet portion of my program down, but i have no idea how to maximize my time in the gym to lose the most weight as possible in the few months available. I don't necessarily want to replace fat with muscle, but would rather lose as much weight as possible and make the biggest transformation as i can.

So how should i spend my time in the gym to achieve me goals? I'm planning on going to the gym at least 5 times a week, 6 if possible.

17. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

What's your diet?

Do what FatMooCow suggested.

Lift weights to build muscle that will help burn calories when you're not in the gym. LSD cardio works well when you're first starting out, but in the long run it will work against you. Varying the intensity (HIIT, LSD) and the domain (run, bike, swim, weight complexes, supersets) of your cardio will keep things fresh so you don't burn out.

18. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

diet will be a weight watchers based diet centered around points values for all foods. aprox 1500 calories per day diet. I've been diagnosed with a mild under productive thyroid, would i be better suited with a low carb/low sugar diet? It's worked before, but its much much harder to stay true to.`

19. solarian

solarian ya heard

i would swim over cardio any day

20. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

like i said, i'm in a 12 week body transformation challange with 95 other contestants. I'm determined to win. i know i can lose the weight as i have done so before. What info i'm trying to asquescesce is what would be the best routine to lose the most weight as possible in a 12 week time period when paired with a low calorie/fat diet.

21. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

For a contest I'd go buck wild and do all liquid meal replacement or something

22. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

eehhhhhhh, i dunno if i could handle that. I'm still a fatass right now. i need to feel close to full now and again.

i'm happy if i eat a salad, or turkey breast sandwich, or a smartones low calories/fat frozen meal etc/ with fruit as snacks.

23. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

You'll probably lose then :dunno:

24. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

thats good. Am i maximaizing my weight loss potential? I am going to win this contest.

25. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Swimming (real swimming and doing laps) is one of the best forms of exercise you can possibly get. It is easy on the joints, reduces lactic acid build up in the muscles, and burns a surprisingly high amount of calories.

I have to ask though.... are you doing a show or something? I really cannot see the need for 2 whole hours of cardio.

I would lift and then after lifting take your shake or whatever and then hit up cardio. Split up an hours worth of cardio as 30min elliptical and 30min swimming. If you're not used to swimming you probably won't even last 30min to be honest... that shit is tiring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.