GUN What is the best way to hit a primer?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by turbodan, Feb 23, 2010.

1. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

Is speed a significant factor in reliable ignition? I'm still having regular issues with lighting off primers in my striker fired PPSh and I dont see what else this could be. My CZ52 has an itty bitty hammer and it does just fine, so all I can imagine at this point is that this rifle isn't striking primers swiftly enough.

This rifle uses a spring and a large steel block, which are hitting the bolt mighty hard but not consistently lighting off primers. The block is rather heavy, and I dont think the mass is necessary to poke a dent in a primer.

2. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

could it be that the striker is not quite long enough? or maybe the strikers pathway is gummed/blocked/has burrs and slowing the striker significantly.

3. turbodan

turbodan OT Supporter

Its all good there. The firing pin moves freely in its bore, theres plenty of protrusion. If I take everything out and just set the striker block in there by itself it slides all the way forward without resistance.

Would have been nice if I didn't have to pretty much rebuild this entire rifle after paying $1100 for it. Fuck me.

4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

More mass isnt always better, sometimes lighter strikers actually have more reliable ignition than heavier ones