What is the best way for wiring DSL?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PC Principle, Jan 8, 2006.

1. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

DSL has finally become available in my area and I will be able to connect for the first time on the 10th

Right now my phone line is about 50 feet long from the phone box to my computer, and it is cheap wire. I am thinking about running some CAT5 straight from my phone box to where my computer is located. Is this a good idea? What should I look out for?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Run Cat5 if you want but DSL is designed to run over ordinary phone line. The telco certainly isn't running Cat5 from the demarc all the way back to the CO. The only time running new inside wiring for DSL really makes any difference is if you're getting lots of crosstalk between the line the DSL is on and another line in your house.

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

I just did. :hsd:

I hope the DSL works OK when I get it. It's through Sprint High-Speed. As long as I can play CS:S and surf the web fast with it I am happy. It is a 1.5Mbit line and I can go up to 3.0 if I need to later on.

4. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

My friend had SBC DSL and there really wasn't a difference in speed once he went from 1.5 to 3.0 as far as gaming and web surfing went.

5. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

OK cool. So DSL is OK for gaming?

6. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

7. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

Yea DSl is purty good for gaming i used to use it all the time. But that was when i was working the ISP and geting it for free. =) But'd id probably get away from using that long of a phone line. May degrade the quality a little, especially if its the cheap crap. But if you're gonna use Cat5, then just drop the modem with a short telephone wire right by the jack and run a cat5 cable from teh modem to your computer. but if you really wanna get cool, go outside to your NID and filter the DSL there and run your phone service on the reg/green pair, and on the black/yellow(i believe thats it), run teh DSL. So you wont need any filters in your house. But then again thats actually work haha. Tis what ill be doing soon when they finally hook my DSL up at my new house.

8. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

:coold: I heard about doing that before.