What is the best quiet AGP card?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Oct 27, 2005.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I have a Radeon 9200 in my komp. I've kept it for so long because it doesn't have a fan and all the new VGA cards do. Even though my recent upgrade to 2GB of RAM and no pagefile has smoothed my machine's operation so much that my old 9200 keeps pace with new games well enough, I figure I should cave in and get a better card with a fan.

But I won't settle for a loud fan. My computer is quiet enough that a car driving past with my window closed - or a leaf-rustling breeze with the window open - drowns out the fan noise and it's damn well going to stay that way.

I don't have a stack of cash to spend on finding the absolute best card I can get while maintaining my komp's safe-for-sleeping-babies noise level, so I need some help. Who here has what video card and how capable and noisy is it? Remember, AGP cards only; not PCI Express or AGP Pro. Thanks for the help.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Well you could get a new card, then replace the stock heatsink and fan on the card for either one from Arctic Cooling http://www.arctic-cooling.com/, that is if the card you get is supported by one of the VGA coolers and not all cards are.
    It's got a fan and bigger heatsink and all of the reviews I've read said it whisper quiet and the fan also end up in helping to cool not only the GFX card better but also the mobo and CPU.

Or you can get passive cooler. Zalman http://www.zalmanusa.com/ makes some good passive coolers for GFX cards. Basicly a big ass heatsink that goes on both sides of the card and are connected using a heat pipe.
    Zalman also makes some heatsink&fan replacements for GFX cards and usually one will fit many cards.

Or you can do water cooling. Water cool the whole system; the CPU, chipset, GFX, and HDDs if need be.
    BFG even makes a 7800GTX that comes with a water cooling block already build on, you just have to hook it up to your water cooling system. http://www.bfgtech.com/7800GTX_256_WC.html It ain't cheap, but it's great on performance and water cooling it much quietier than a fan.

3. deusexaethera

I just spent $70 on a nice Swiftech heatsink. It's half of the reason my computer is as quiet as it is now; the other half is the Vantec iON2 power supply I got. As such, I'm not inclined to throw it all out to get a water cooling system. Maybe I'll get one for my next komp, if they aren't standard equipment by then.

I've looked at the heatsink/fan combos offered by Arctic Cooling and the heatpipes offered by Zalman. They all require an extra slot's worth of space to work right, and I don't have room for that. I have a micro-atx mainboard; slot space is at a premium.

I don't really need better cooling, just quieter cooling. Small, quiet cooling. That's not too much to ask. Small, quiet, and cheap would be too much to ask.

4. deusexaethera

Bump.

Please offer some suggestions. Surely there's somebody else out there who likes a good compromise between noise and performance who can tell me what's worked for them.