what is the best brand of pregnancy test?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by quikkstylez, Jun 1, 2005.

1. quikkstylez

quikkstylez i am not asian.

just curious

2. Pheanyx

Pheanyx Guest

I think E.P.T. is the best OTC, but seriously, the most accurate are by your doctor or even at a clinic.

3. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

:werd: i believe it's ept that has the digital readout so that you're not confused by whether the lines are there or not. the woman simple dips it in her urine, waits a few seconds, and it either reads 'pregnant' or 'not pregnant." it, too, is like ~99.9% (or there about) accurate.

4. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Most OTC pregnancy tests are going to be the same, the different will be the readout. If you arent able to tell what 1 line means, 2 lines mean, or 2 lines a plus sign and the square root of 84, then the EPT is the best. (seriously women, whats up with the random line thing on prego tests?).

I hear you are more likely to get a false negative than a false positive with OTC tests but I am not sure. They are cheap and good for finding things out early, but if you really think a girl is pregnant, most local health dept. do free testing (atleast around here and where I used to live...)

5. erobbins

erobbins Active Member

my understanding is that false positives are very rare, and nearly always user error or are detecting pregnancies that end up naturally miscarrying.. false negatives are far more common

6. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

My mom has worked in the lab of the local hospital for almost 30 years, and pregnancy tests are one of the many things she does on a daily basis. The standard urine test they use is identical to the OTC ones, it is just in institutional packaging. (It is the square plastic test with the + - signs, if you really want to know.)

Many OBs don't even require a labratory test to confirm pregnancy. If you have had a positive result at home, and have no outstanding circumstances, they almost always go by that result. Unless you've purchased your test from Crazy JuJu's House of Imported Crap, you can usually bank on the result you get being accurate.

False positives are very rare. False negatives happen in some women with abnormally low hormone levels, which can be a sign of a troubled pregnancy or testing too early, or can just be something unique to that woman. They are not really all that common either, despite anecdotal evidence to the contrary. The vast majority of results are accurate on the first attempt, when the test is performed properly.

The lab resorts to blood testing very, very rarely. The urine tests are very accurate, and can detect the hormone by the time most women realize they are late. When fertility drugs or IFV are being used, the hormone will show up earlier on a blood test. Most ordinary purchasers of OTC tests don't have any way of knowing they'll need a test that early though.

Cliffs: The hosptial / clinic is going to use the same urine test you can buy at the drug store, with the same accuracy. Lots of doctors go by home test results because they are so accurate.