What is Media Center?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I keep hearing about Media Center in reference to OS X. I've used it and didn't notice any difference from XP Home. Absent the hype... wtf is Media Center?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

integrated GUI for TV use.

3. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

It basically ties a computer into your television entertainment experience and allows you access to all kinds of media from your network or special programming that you can subscribe to. The biggest thing for me is the DVR function limited only by the size you allocate and access to all my mp3's and video on my network. A few people I know have them and after playing with one, I intend on setting one up eventually.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

So you hook it to your TV and it will act as a DVR? That is cool. And it auto-explores for your media and puts them in a list like, and assuming you have like S-Video out it will stream your media to that?

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I see. Well, thats reasonable. My fear of mail downtime has me still using godaddy mail for 5 accounts :) When we exceed that I'll setup a colo or something.

6. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

Yes, it can be setup with DVR capabilities as long as you have a tv tuner card in the pc....which most media centers do. As for your media, you can access other computers and play the media off of them. I do believe the library feature can scan your entire network for media. There are a lot of cable channels that offer special programming through M$'s subscription network and you can stream or download shows from them as well. The media center remote is well worth getting as well as a wireless keyboard with integrated mouse if you wish to also use the MC as a normal PC at times.

Shuttle now makes specific pc's for media center use that add in to your entertainment center like a VCR or DVD player. Many people use SFF pc's as wey for integration since the space requirements are so small. Who wants a large ATX case setting next to their TV?
    http://sys.us.shuttle.com/

I'll probably build a mini itx PC to my specs to use as one. I love shuttle barebones systems as most come with 5.1 or 7.1 audio and include fiber optic connections for easy audio hookup. Add a 1gb stick of ram (they can handle 2gb), a high quality video card with tv tuner, a dvd-rw (burn your programs straight to dvd), and 3 large sata hard drives and your you've got a MC that will last a long time and also make a great stand alone PC.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It's nothing more than Windows XP with the MCE application add-on.

Have you ever heard of Myth TV or Medial Portal? More or less the same thing.

8. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Link no work in firefox, no care :(