What is installed by default on my Macbook?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZEKEthePLUMBER, Dec 24, 2006.

1. I have a Black Macbook C2D and it shows that only ~94gb free. Is there a restore partition loaded already as well as the OS?

2. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Yupp.

I think they are around 10gb each or something.

I was wondering the same thing. At first I was like :ugh: at 54gb left on a 80gb harddrive.

3. skolen

skolen Guest

The full OSX install is something like 10gb and then iLife takes up a shitload in itself.

You can do a fresh install w/out iLife and tell the installer you don't want any language or printer/scanner driver packs installed. This will make your total install 2gb.

4. Wow - thanks for the information :bowdown:

Any chance you know where I can find out where there is an install guide for that ?

5. skolen

skolen Guest

Not that I know of.

When you're running the installer you'll have the option to "customize" or "options" before you commit to the install. When you click that you get a list of what's going to be installed and you can just uncheck the boxes you don't want. Printers, Languages and Bonus software are a few choices.

6. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Definitly going to look into this.

7. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Garage band and all of the loops for it is like 9 GB.

There are also apps that'll delete all the unused language support and printer drivers, saving about a GB of space.

8. skolen

skolen Guest

I dunno if the thread was deleted or not, but I posted some links to programs that cleaned out your system w/out doing a fresh install. It was under my old name "skoles".

Wish Faz would get back to me about that.

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Just a helpful hint...you can select to only install the english language and none of the others but I highly suggest keeping the printers and such installed. Trust me with this...it will save you plenty of headaches in the future if you ever do printing.

if you really want to save room, garageband is the first place i'd look.