What is Hyper Threading Technology?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homan, May 29, 2003.

1. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

??

does it make much of a difference if a processor has it vs a processor that does not, given that they are the same speed?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

the way i understand it is, you take one physical processor, and when hyperthreaded (the new p4's and xeon's only) it can actually multithread with that single cpu. i.e. that processor can execute, halt, or interrupt 2 threads simultaneously with only 1 cpu

3. MP

MP New Member

some of that depends on what you are planning to do with the machine. For something like a gaming machine, or just running one or two programs you wouldn't really need hyperthreading. users really take advantage of it when they are doing multitasking (3 - 5 programs open all at once), listening to music and downloading something at the same time. That's an overkill but you get the picture. I think it's cool.

4. NoLiving

NoLiving Guest

There are effectivly two cores in the CPU. Each logical CPU has it's own state and operates independently of the other for the most part. In order to take advantage of it you need to have an operating system that does SMP. You'll get benefits from any program that it multithreaded.

5. samm

samm Next in Line

Wrong :down:

Intel does not have two cores in their Pentium chips. The die size is already large enough, they wouldn't double it using that design.

Hyperthreading essentially makes the processor appear as two processors. It uses a simultaneous multithreading system, as opposed to a time-slice multithreading or event switch multithreading system. From a general standpoint, this means there's less context switching among applications supporting the technology. It's not really a new technology, IBM's server processors have used similar practices for a long time but they are much more expensive than a consumer processor. Intel has a lot of information about it on their website if you want to read up:

http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2002/volume06issue01/art01_hyper/p06_execution_engine.htm

6. XO

XO bee a honey

im not sure if i'll get any answers in this post, but can anybody recomend a decently priced motherboard that will support the new HT processors? is it just any board with a intel chipset? i'm thinking about getting a 2.4 HT

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

You misread his statement, you are just reiterating what he said.

Notice he said logical as supposed to physical, thus it has nothing to do with the physical size of the chip. A single physical device behaving like two logical devices. Hmm, where have we seen this before...

-crontab -l

8. MP

MP New Member

From personal use i'de go with the abit is-7. It's supports hyperthreading of course, usb 2.0, firwire, SATA, and supports 800mhz fsb. It's just a tad over $100 to. Nice board in my opinion.

--matt