What is considered high mileage...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by strubbe, Apr 3, 2005.

1. strubbe

strubbe New Member

For trucks such as the Ranger, Dakota, S10 etc.? Edit - 97-99 models of the forementioned trucks.

I'm selling my Grand Am, and will be looking for a smaller type truck for about $5k, so I'm just trying to gather some information.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

10k or less per year is low mileage
    10-15k is average milage
    15k or above is high mileage

But I consider anything over 75k miles to be "high-mileage" regardless of age.

3. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Alright, thanks...

I'll probably be forced into buying a "higher mileage" truck with the funds I have right now unfortunately. How reliable are the engines in the trucks I mentioned once they get up around that 75k mark?

4. strubbe

strubbe New Member

4.3 in what truck? :hs:

I'm new to this stuff...

5. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

S10 It is a great engine, very powerful for a light weight truck.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you get an s10, make sure it has the 4.3L (262 cu.in). Great engine. The dakota is so-so. The ranger is the worst of the bunch. I'd say grab the s10.

7. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Roger. Thanks fellas, I'll start looking for some deals on S-10's in my area. :)

8. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

As already said, the 5.2 in the Dakota is a great engine as far as reliability goes. I had one that went over 200k before someone else trashed it. My fiance has a 98 Dakota with about 43k on it, with the 3.9l. It's an ok motor for just driving around, no problems with it so far. I wouldn't try towing with it, unless it was something light.

The 4.3 in the S10 is pretty nice as well. A friend of mine has one in an 03 (I think, it may be 04). He hasn't had any problems with it, and I think he has around 60k on it.

Another one of my friends has an 04 Ranger, and he has had several problems with it, but I don't remember what they were. I just see him in a rental more often than his own truck. He delivers in it, so it sees a lot of abuse, which could explain some of that.

Good luck with whatever you choose, hope you enjoy it.

9. truckshc

truckshc Guest

i've gotta 2000 GMC Sonoma (4.3L). 90k...motor runs great, but i did have to have the tranny rebuilt at 50k...the truck was a rental for about year before i purchased it, so who knows how it was treated b4 me. i take good care of it and it runs solid.

if your not partial to domestics only...imo, any toyota p/u or tacoma will last forever if its halfway payed attention to. i had an 89 single cab toyota w/ 180k. absolutely no problems whats so ever. i built it up a little bit and ran it hard, too. every yota i've come across w/ high mileage (like 150k and up) ran very good. nissans (hardbodys, at least) will last as well...but they're slow.

10. nianguaus

nianguaus Guest

I've got a '95 S10 4.3 with over 207K on it, and I've only had the normal wear and tear happen on it. Some things like the clutch, water pump, regular tune up items. It's a great drivetrain with alot of power.

11. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

I have a 99 GMC Sonoma Zr2, and I have had no problems with the engine. Actually the only problems I have had have been my own fault for taking it off road and tearing sheet up.

The V6 (4.3) is a great engine with enough power, but definately DON NOT get the 4 cyl, it's a dog and you will regret it. My father has it in his, and I swaer I am driving a different truck.

I think looking for an s10 will be a good choice.

12. SakoTGrimes

SakoTGrimes New Member

American car = 90K is high milage. Subaru = 200K is high.