what is best for a pickup truck. hard cover or bed cap?my flew off in 70 mph winds!!!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by quamen, Jan 16, 2004.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

WEll this has started off to be a very bad day for myself. I had a nice hard truck cover low profile on my s10. I live on a mountain 2000 ft above sea level. The temp was-4 and winds from 60-70 and up. The truck cover actually flew off and the hinges ripped right off the bed!!! Now i need a damn new one and it pisses me off. What is the best for hauling around detailing stuff? A low profile cap or cover? I see the advatage of having a cover it lifts, but it is low profile. Therefore,stuff has to be not high or it wont close. THe cap can hold more bigger stuff, but harder to access. The funny thing was I had a bad dream last night and it came true. I remember one day it was really windy and the truck cover was opened,but I said ther is no way the wind got under that cause it is to low. Last night it wasnt windy, till like early morning 1 am or so. I pictured my cover actually flying away and that i should have put a sand bag on top of it. Im going to go look for it. Wonder if insurance will cover this?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  2. wangatang

wangatang backing it in your mom

Ouch man, that really sucks. Curious: was it one of those no-drilling tops? If the hinges ripped out, they might not have been tight. Next time use some locktite :hs:

By cap, do you mean those camper shells?

3. quamen

quamen New Member

no it was a driilling top!!1 I had 6 screws on there, 2 hinges that held it down and shocks bolted in. The winds were really really really strong. Almost to the point where I literally got blown away off my feet. Our siding from the house fell off a while back and it had to be nailed down, that is how windy it is. No i mean like hard flush cover.

4. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

i would say get the bed rhinolined.

wont rust, wont get damaged, and it looks awesome. it also is easy to walk on.

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I don't think that would go well with his truck. It's one of those low rider, "show truck" things.

6. quamen

quamen New Member

My truck is going back to stock and im figured it out. Im getting a door hinged utility cap. My truck will no longer look like an extreme at all. It will look like a stock work truck.