What is all needed to run true 5.1 surround?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ls1norcal, Aug 17, 2005.

1. ls1norcal

ls1norcal New Member

Right now I have onboard sound, lame I know. I have the audio out going to video 1 on my receiver. Sub and 5 speakers from there. Obviously im not getting real 5.1. So what do I need to get true 5.1? A sound card with optical out?

2. jrwfz5

jrwfz5 New Member

Soundblaster offers fairly inexpensive 5.1. But if your getting 5 speakers, thats not 5.1. You need a center channel. Also if your going to hook up 5 speakers on an audio out your probally getting mono on 5 speakers. But yea 5.1 dolby soundblaster, but make sure you get speakers made for your pc, not bullshit homestereo. Mst of the time ppl hook up a home stereo to their comp and it sounds like shit b/c the amps arent made to push left and right channels w/ subs built into them

3. the_wheel_man

the_wheel_man Now I'm stealing her body and taking it home...

if your onboard supports 5.1 (most amd/intel compatable chipsets do now) you can turn it on in your sound control panel. usualy line out is front l&r, line in is rear l&r and mic is center & sub

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

All you need:
    -5.1 sound card (almost any recent soundblaster will work fine)
    -5 speakers
    -1 sub
    -5 channel Amp of some sort (included in/with speakers, Home Theater Receiver, etc)
    -Cables to run from the computer to the speakers

That's really it.

For output to a HT receiver you can use either 6 channel direct (minijack from sound card (x3) to RCA on receiver (x6)), optical, or coax. Soundblaster internal cards uses some dumb minijack to RCA coax for their digital out, so you will need to get the cable if it is not included with the card.