What is a Watt Link?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, Feb 4, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I did a little digging and all I really found out is it has something to do with solid axles, but no good description of its purpose. This seemed to be the best place to ask the question.

2. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt's_linkage

searchin on google for new terms to use eh?

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No, smartass, I ran across it reading up on Mazda history. It seems one of their first RX cars had a solid axle with a Watt Link.

EDIT: Ahh, that's what it does. I remember when I was a kid and I was building cars out of Technic Legos, I never could figure out how to keep a solid axle from wobbling back and forth, so I usually went with four-bar suspension instead. I guess James Watt has one up on me. Wow, look at all those related links! I love Wikipedia. Six-cycle engines? There's one I've never heard of...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

Very few people ever discuss Watt links. I've heard it mentioned at the racetrack in passing while old school types are gabbing. I haven't seen it in real life, but my understanding is that is keeps the rear end centered.

Like on my muscle car avatar (instead of a picture of me of course) which has a bar connected to the body of the car and the other side to the rear end it keeps it "centered". The rear end can travel up and down, but never much side to side. Especially important when cornering when the loads shift the body over the suspension. This keeps it all intact.

Here is a pretty cool website:
    http://www.bevenyoung.com.au/config.html

5. Bu406

Bu406 New Member