A&P What is a necessary lens for wedding photography.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by flavin, Mar 21, 2008.

1. flavin

flavin Piss Off Hamburgler. This is my Chicken Sandwich!

I want a 2.8 lens for weddings. I was thinking about 2 of them to be on the safe side. A short and a long.

Nikon only

2. mojito

mojito New Member

you're not ready for weddings if you can't figure that part out

3. flavin

flavin Piss Off Hamburgler. This is my Chicken Sandwich!

4. mojito

mojito New Member

you're going to want the 14-24 and 70-200 VR, so start saving up. Find a local pro and 2nd shoot with them, should get you some $ and practice

5. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

For weddings?

I'd say if he can only get 2, the 17-55 and 70-200 are the obvious

6. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I just bought a 24-70 f/2.8 to see how I like it, but I don't think it'll be 'the' lens for me in the long run. I wouldn't mind a 17-35mm f/2.8 or the 14-24mm f/2.8 either.

7. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

I've heard bad things about the 17-35, the 17-55 replaced it.

8. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

my friend and I want to shoot weddings, we have a combined lenses: 17-55mm f2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.4, 60mm f/2.8, 180mm f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8, do we still need an ultra wide angle?

9. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

Of course you don't NEED it, but more is always better :dunno:

10. mojito

mojito New Member

you can always rent, but my question for you (and any others in the same boat) is what can you do to differentiate yourself in a vastly oversaturated market

11. johan

johan Active Member

I don't understand why people ask questions like this. What lenses should I buy?

Why not think instead about the kinds of images you want to create.
    How you see. How you present.

Then the lenses required to capture those images will become obvious.

It's one thing to want a 14-24. Its another thing to be able to really use ultrawides to deliver something truly compelling. As opposed to novelty "ultrawide snapshots"

12. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

if i were to shoot a wedding. i would use 24-70, 70-200, 85 1.8 or 100 2.0, and a fisheye or ultra wide angle of some sort.

For ceremony: use the 85 or 100 for bride and groom, wide angle for ceremony hall, and 70-200 for detail shots, holding hands, mother crying, father crying etc...

Reception: I would have 70-200 and 34-70 mounted ,most of the time, and the swap on out for wide angle of people dancing partying etc...

But take this with a grain of salt, i have never shot a wedding. But in my mind, knowing what i know of event photography, thats what i would do.

BTW my normal social/corporate event setup is 70-200 2.8 mounted on 40d, 10-22 in pocket, and 18-50 macro mounted on 30d. with modified cactus triggers and three flashes, one of which is mounted on my netwon flash bracket with a large diffuser.

13. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

There's a guy in Houston that does "un-wedding" shots.

Basically, he gets the bride in his studio w/ her wedding dress on, has her pose as she strips down butt naked. In an "artistic :mamoru:" manner, of course.

14. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

That really sounds like a question just to not get him into it. 99% of the people out there all do the same "Photojournalistic" style of weddings. Same angled shots of rings and cakes and shoes. Theres rarely anyone that is actually unique out there and its definitely not a pre-req to being successful in this business.

15. mojito

mojito New Member

but think about it, the market is already way oversaturated, especially in the low to mid end, where you have undercutting newbs like crazy. How is anyone suppose to make a name for themselves without something unique?
    go through craigslist and theres 100 people in any city willing to shoot and burn for 500

16. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

In my opinion its all about marketing. You can be one of the crappiest photographers in the world but if you market yourself right and get your name out there, everyone will come to you.

I completely understand what youre saying and I do think there are too many people and Im greatly annoyed by untalented hacks taking jobs but thats just part of the game.

17. mojito

mojito New Member

I know all is fair in competition, but I'm just trying to provide some perspective. All day I see people that just picked up a camera that expect to be where David Jay is in 4 years, but if you look at the stats for the industry, more than likely they won't get per year what he makes in a shoot. Without a plan and portfolio, you get stuck on craigslist or the like or buying leads.

But second shooting for someone good, getting real experience and portfolio shots from high end weddings and knowing how to deal with the front end, the back end and how to deal with customers, families, guests all wanting different things, thats what separates the pros from the amateurs.

Shoot and burn rarely results in an album for the couple, but no rookies know hot to make n album, which vendors to use, how to price it, or sell it. :hs:

18. Reverend

Reverend OT Supporter

24-70 2.8/L and 70-200 2.8/L

Those two lenses on a 5D are the bare minimum basics.

On a crop camera, I'd suggest a 10-22 EF-S and the 70-200 f/2.8L I'd probably still recommend the 24-70 to cover that range gap.