What is a good recommended scan tool?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Slick26, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Reasons for wanting on are pretty basic really.
    I want to record my driving, with the ability to see real-time fuel mileage, average speed, sensors, read and clear codes, and the ability to lean out the fuel. With lots of emphasis on the last one. I've been getting some piss poor fuel mileage and I want to see where everything is at to see if that is something that would help me out or not.

I've been eying the ScanGauge II lately, and that would be a great tool to have for most of the other things... but I don't believe it has the ability to lean out the fuel at all. Just clear codes and gives most of the other main things.

The thing is... I don't have a laptop, so something like the AutoEnginuity (or similar) would be out of the question. Unless there is something out there that I can plug into my car, take it out when I am done, and then plug it into my PC at home, then back to the car again. What are some other options to look at?

2. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

What kind of car do you have?
    I'm pretty sure you won't be able to modify anything without a OEM scanner.
    You can view and clear codes [disconnecting the neg battery term will do that too] all day, but active controlling is only available with a OEM tool I believe.....

3. Slick26

2005 Mazda 3

I mainly want to see where my fuel is at, to see if I could make use of leaning it out to help out. I'm getting on avg 20mpg and I drive like a dead grandma. Very conservative. It's frustrating.

4. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

If you just want to see your A:F, get a wideband O2 sensor.
    Or at the very least, a A:F gauge. They are much cheaper than a good scan tool....
    One other tip.
    Driving like a grandma wont' necessarily give you the best gas mileage....
    A slower speed isn't always the most efficient.

You are best off cruising in 5th at roughly your engines peak torque rpm.
    So if your engine makes it's peak torque at 3200 rpms, 5th gear at that rpm is roughly your most efficient speed...
    Also, accelerate moderately, coast up hills, and accelerate down them.
    However, take other drivers into account as well.
    If you're accelerating from a light and the speed limit is 55, don't take a mile to get to that speed if you have cars behind you.....
    Same goes for up hills....

5. Slick26

I'd love to cruise in 5th. Fuck, that would be awesome. Problem is... I don't have a fucking 5th gear. It's a 4spd automatic whore of a transmission.