What is a good low end motorcycle helmet?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by nollid51, Feb 9, 2008.

1. nollid51

nollid51 New Member

So I'm going to buy a 1979 Honda CB650 for my first bike. I've been hoping for this all during high school. Now that I'm in college and I have some left over cash I can finally afford one. Have to wait one week because the guy I'm buying it from is away in Cali. I might die from the anticipation.:x: It needs some repairs but its cheap. the main thing is it has the classic look I want. Any on to my question. What advice would you guys give for purchasing helmets? What brands and stores are good/cheap? HJC seems to have a few, and I know they are good. I also read that this company Gmax makes one good helmet called the GM68S with red LED marker lamps on it.

Also, anyone know of any only retailers that sell cheap parts other than ebay or craigslist?

Any tips for the beginner?

One last thing, anyone know about any cheap basic insurance providers? I'm sure a 19 year old college student wont be given a break but I'm willing to try...

Pic of bike:
    [​IMG]

Pics of prospective helmets:
    [​IMG]-gmax
    [​IMG]-HJC

cliffs: Please recommend some helmets or places for parts.

EDIT: links to helmets

http://www.helmetoutletusa.com/inde...394&Cat=Helmets&Name=GM68 Crusader&Manuf=GMax that one is the gmax.
    http://www.helmetoutletusa.com/inde...&Detail=2261&Cat=Helmets&Name=Solid&Manuf=HJC that one is the HJC cheap-o version.

2. TurboV6

TurboV6 New Member

Please don't skimp on a helmet, you should buy the absolute best gear you can possibly afford or should seriously reconsider getting a bike. You will go down eventually, just a matter of when and you should be protected when it happens.

3. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

For a helmet, as far as safety goes you want something both DOT and Snell rated. Past that, it's mostly a comfort issue.

You should also buy a decent amount of gear - pants, jacket, gloves.

4. nollid51

nollid51 New Member

I'm open to suggestions. I'm not spending 500 on a helmet. Then again I don't want to buy a piece of junk, I just want an affordable helmet. I really doubt that I can't buy a good helmet at that price range. If I am wrong, then educate me.

5. nollid51

nollid51 New Member

Yeah all the ones I'm looking at are. I have a dirt bike and its helmet is HJC. Seems to fit perfectly (XL). What kind of gloves are good? Leather, padded, or what?

6. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

I'm very happy with the Scorpion helmet I got last year for $150. Very comfy and seems well made. Good reviews from what I've seen too.

www.scorpionusa.com

7. BrewCrew

BrewCrew Active Member

I got a HJC. Its not that bad.

8. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

helmet makes tend to fit in a certain way, so if you're happy with your current HJC get another one.

leather is good, hard things protecting joints are good, more layers are good. what sort of weather do you plan on riding in? I've got a nice but fairly basic pair of leather motorcycle gloves, and riding at 30F on the freeway my hands fucking freeze.

9. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Scorpion makes a killer helmet for the cost, very well ventilated easy to swap lenses and they look great

10. caucasion

caucasion New Member

[​IMG]

this is the helmet i bought. i picked mine up at a local moto shop for $220. Its comfortable, snell and dot approved. It has enough white that you can see me from a small distance (ie a car seeing me, since my jackets black) and its a reasonable price

11. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

hjc is pretty sweet as far as cheap helmets go and kbc isnt bad either just a few more bucks i think their both dot and snell so just go for whats comfy and what looks good to you

12. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Snell is pretty much a worthless marketing gimick (even they have finally admitted their testing standards aren't up to par and are finally changing them to a system comparable to DOT and Euro standards)
    The $80 V1R ZRP-1 helmet scored best in testing. Although the quality of fit and finish isn't as good as a Shoei or Arai, it absorbs much more impact to a head.
    That said, make sure whatever you get fits well. If you get a helmet (no matter what brand) that is uncomfortable, then you won't be happy with it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  13. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

As for cheap parts, it's all about searching the net. There are websites out there dedicated to older bikes but most are specific to brands or years or models. www.oldbikebarn.com is one to start with but always keep your eyes out on ebay. Also try posting a want ad on craigslist. I did that for my Venture and ended up finding a guy who used to work on them as a hobby just a mile away with a huge shop full of Venture and Vmax parts. Pure luck and a major score.

As for insurance, again it can fluctuate. If you have your car with a company, you "usually" get a discount for a bike but not always, so you just have to shop around and see what you can find. I use geico for all of mine but they may not be the cheapest for you. All of them though will discount if you have passed an MSF course so it's a must have both for your own education and discount for insurance. Get that done ASAP. Since you're a student, check with your school to see if they offer the classes.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  14. Snafu

Snafu more than meets the eye

15. nollid51

nollid51 New Member

Well in NJ you can take a 3-day safety course and get a waiver to by-pass the road test, which is what I'm going to do. That should probably help...although I've been hearing it is going to be around the 100/year range for my insurance from searching.

16. nollid51

nollid51 New Member

Thanks OT motorcycle crew:bigthumb:. A lot of good suggestions, going to take sometime to go through them all. I'll give you guys an update when I've bought and repaired my bike. With pics of course.

17. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

If it qualifies as the road test for getting the license, that's an MSF course. 100/year is about as cheap as you will probably find. Many states have a mandatory limit as to how cheap they can go on insurance and that's $99 bucks. even if you qualify for lower rates, the state may force the insurance companies to go no lower than that. (stupid law)

18. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

I got my Icon for dirt cheap off the net cause it was the previous year's model. Its a pretty good helmet.

19. ZxHunteR

ZxHunteR New Member

KBC tk-8 is $120 on sale with vents. Anything less isnt going to have vents.

20. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Vents don't mean much if the vents are poorly designed.

21. toezter

toezter New Member

try it on before you buy. everyones skull is a different shape.

FWIK - scorpion = narrow, HJC = 'regular' shaped heads. don't know about others.

22. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

as far as insurance check state farm they quoted me the cheapes on my busa at 200 a month with my car with them geico wanted 535 but they told me the msf course would discount me any but it would be worth taking for the hell of it

23. squid

squid braap

A friend bought a KBC for cheap and it's excellent.

24. shohan

shohan New Member

I agree with Vermincelli here. I wear a Z1R Strike (ZRP-1) and it's been great. It ran me $95 at the local Honda dealer. The XL fits nice on my head and have had no problems with it. The rubatone is also nice because it's not shiny and doesn't look out of place sitting on my head while riding my Sportster.

http://www.z1rhelmets.com/product.jsp?product_group_id=5929&category_id=1301

Here's the article I read that made me change my mind about the Snell ratings. I'm sure Vermincelli has read it to judging by his post.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

25. squid

squid braap