What is a good home NAS option?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OT Addict, Jan 28, 2010.

1. OT Addict

OT Addict New Member

I have a few extra Tb drives laying around and want to put them into some sort of network storage enclosure.

Requirements:
    [ ] 4+ drive bays
    [ ] Gigabit ethernet port
    [ ] must look sexy
    [ ] no more than $600us

plz respond

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Stuff them in an old computer. It's so much easier to configure user permissions on a computer that's actually running a full-featured operating system, instead of those tiny linux-based boxes that boot off a memory chip and are impossible to fix if something goes wrong.

No, it's not as sexy as a shiny plastic box would be, but it will work right, and that's more important. You can always hide it in a closet if it bothers you to look at it.

3. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I think leetpilot posted something about a DLink 321 NAS that is relatively new, cheap, and efficient. Do a thread search on him

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

5. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

and increase your powerbill by a significant amount

6. deusexaethera

If he has several hard drives running at once, it's going to eat a bunch of watts anyway. A Pentium 3 or something like that is not going to use a substantial amount of power by comparison to the hard drives. Not to mention, you can just tell the computer to spin-down the hard drives after 5 minutes of idle activity, and with a computer you can run automatic defrags and chkdsks and whatnot, which a sealed box won't do.

Hell, I have an overclocked AMD Athlon XP with an nVidia 7900GT video card and a 3-Raptor RAID, and the thing still only pulls 210 watts when I run Prime95 or PCMark. A machine with an old CPU and normal-speed hard drives that only works hard a couple times a week is going to pull substantially less power than that.

7. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

I dont know anybody that owns one, but this one has always caught my eye. Price tag always turned me off though. You have to buy the gigabit ethernet bit separate.

http://www.drobo.com/

8. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

A guy at work has one and loves it. Its a cool product but very expensive.

9. deusexaethera

It also wastes a shit-ton of disk space if the drives aren't all the same size.

10. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

Actually that's a feature that allows you to use mis-matched drives.

You can't raid a 1TB drive and a 1.5TB drive together and expect to have 1.5TB of usable striped space. You're going to end up with about 1TB of space to use, with .5TB going to waste.

11. phatguy88

phatguy88 OT Supporter

I bought that intel nas on slickdeals for $150. It has 4 drive bays. I slipstreamed WHS on it. It works well.

12. deusexaethera

I know, but since it does the same thing that every other RAID array does, but advertises itself as being "compatible with mis-matched disk sizes", it's real easy to think you can stuff whatever spare disks you have into it and you'll get all that space made available for use. That's why I was calling out the fact that it doesn't work that way.