What is a good carb intake amount?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ww_Crimson, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ww_Crimson

ww_Crimson New Member

I'm 6'1" ~218 pounds -- very weak for my size. What I'd like to do right now is continue to build muscle while shaving off some of my extra fat. My stomach / legs could definitely use some weight loss. I am still trying to learn the appropriate amount of calories/carbs/fat/protein to intake.

From what I've read, it's better to have a lower carb intake if you're trying to burn fat because your body will utilize the fat as energy quicker if you have less carbs to burn. I don't want to carb-starve my body because I would like to continue building muscle.

Should I really be doing much cardio or mostly just lifting? What is considered a good intake on carbs?

2. Undefined

Undefined New Member

if i were you, i would only eat carbs at breakfast and before/after lifting. probably around 100 grams a day on days you lift and half of that on days you don't. the rest of my calories would be about 250g of protein and 70 or so grams of fat. that would put you at roughly 2000 calories on lifting days and 1800 on non lifting days. and yes, cardiowill speed up the process and it's good for you so do it a few times a week at least.

3. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

Start by documenting what your current food intake is. Its very hard to determine what it takes to lower your wieght when we dont know what it takes for you to maintain or gain weight.

As far as carbs are concerned, again, if you are regularly at 300g of carbs a day, dropping down to below 200 will be a huge improvement. Once you get closer to your goals, dropping down below 100 will be even more.

Running low on carbs effects everyone differently so you might want to test the waters yourself before you get too crazy. Me personally, I try to aim for 75-100g of carbs a day, any less and im stupid, any more and its too much.

Chosing cardio over weights comes from deciding where you want to be. Its probably best to focus on both. 50% of your time on cardio, 50% on weights until you get closer to achieving your goals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.