What if I want more PCI slots on my computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I was just thinking about this from my multiple monitors thread. I could get another PCI vid card to support a third monitor, but here's my problem: my computer has 3 slots. Two of them are filled (Hauppauge TV Tuner card, and Wireless internet card). My third slot doesn't seem to work (I tried the TV card and wireless internet card in it and got no response).

So can I get like external additional card slots or something? I've seen external USB ports so I figured they might make external PCI card slots or some sort of adapter, too.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

those are to allow a PCI card to interface through PCI-E

He's asking for USB -- which would not be practical.

If he had a PCI-E slot, he might as well add a PCI-E vid card.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually, he never stated it had to be USB. He made reference to a USB hub in analogy, but never stated it as a requirement: "make external PCI card slots or some sort of adapter"

They make PCI host cards for their PCI boxes that do PCI -> PCI. Hell, they even used to make ISA boxes back in the day. Pull 1 PCI card, swap in a host adaptor and an external PCI expansion box with at least 2 PCI slots (this, for example: http://www.magma.com/products/pci/2PCI/index.html), and presto!

Of course they are impractical for what he wants since you could buy a new computer for the cost of one. The fact remains, however, they do exist.

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Interesting. Thanks.

7. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Replace the Wifi pci card for a USB wifi dongle and put your PCI video card in the good slot that was used by the wifi pci card

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The number of devices that can be connected to the PCI bus is regulated by the Southbridge chip, not by the number of slots on the motherboard.

I believe you can buy what's called a "riser card" that plugs into a PCI slot and has a bunch of other PCI slots on it at a 90-degree angle, but you'd have to get a riser card with all the slots you wanted to have, since the slots on the motherboard would be rendered useless by the PCI cards hanging off the riser. You'd also need a special case that could hold the riser card and all the sideways PCI cards coming off it.

So yeah, it's doable, but unless you're building a custom industrial machine, it would be cost-prohibitive.

9. jvinsepa

jvinsepa IT Crew, Corvette crew

Plus the bandwidth of the PCI bus is limited. Having three video cards in there all sharing the bus with a TV tuner and wireless network could possibly slow everything down

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

They make USB Wifi? Is it called a dongle? I haven't heard that before.

11. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

A 'dongle' is a generic name for anything hanging out of a slot of a computer. As such there are numerous USB 'Dongles'.

And yes there are many USB Wireless networking adapters.

Go to Newegg and search "USB wireless networking adapter" you will get plenty of results.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Oh, it will slow everything down, assuming those video cards are getting any kind of sustained data transfer to them. But it's still an option.

13. Chris

Chris New Member

yes, this is what you need