MMA What I did today

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Optamix, May 6, 2008.

1. Optamix

Optamix New Member

As Jeff just told me.

This is the intro to "Hood Rich, 101"

I have found that with real money comes real bills. Since I was so poor in college I've done a really bad job at saving money. If I see it I will buy it now, its a very bad habit. And I try to fly home once a month to see the girlfriend and that is killing me. And this month is her birthday so I'm going down to surprise her.

So I've started tracking my money and by far my biggest expense if food.

So, as you guys know I'm a gamer...I'm a huge nerd. So I'm turning this into a game. Games have a win scenerio, way to keep track of progress, and a elements of numerical value(for the most part anyway).

So I've broken my daily costs, starting with food, down into "stats" based on usage. The end of the month left over money is my score, each month I will try to beat it. I will do this until I'm out of short term debt(pay off family and a best buy card).

So this is my food break down for the next 2 weeks, I've got a nifty excel sheet that does this for me now. I'm going to keep filling it in and updating as I get new information or find out how much I eat, as opposed to the "serving size" is.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich costs .22 cents
    Glass of water(purified) costs .7 cents
    Ham and Cheese Sandwich with mayo and mustard is .61 cents
    Cereal(with milk) is .29 cents
    Meat and Noodles(tuna in this case) is 1.20(by far the most expensive).
    Bowl of noodles is .86 cents
    Soup is .87 cents.
    Serving of chicken rice is .41 cents.

So all in all, I've got enough food for 15 days(approximately) and I spent $35. So $2.5 a day isn't to bad at all.

This is fun in a perverse "I don't get to eat anything really good" sort of way.

Tomorrow I'm going to start breaking down my driving habits and gas mileage. I will look on google maps after creating a list of common places I go and start grouping them by area to hit as many things as possible per trip out.

2. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

:bowdown:

You got that shit all calculated like a woman would, you sure you got an outtie? lol j/k, but honestly I have the same problem, just not as epic as yours.

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

No shit, what was that kid thinking?

5. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

Keep that up and I'm sure you will be in great health for your upcoming fight....

6. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I guess this thread was easier to make than the "You guys were right" thread.

7. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

What are you making the PB&Js out of to get the unit cost down to $0.22?

8. 4bangin

:rofl:

I can see it now..

Bumfights IX - Never Back Down

9. Optamix

Optamix New Member

.97 for a loaf of wheat bread.

1.54 for the peanut butter

1.57 for the jelly. Calculate out the per unit costs and add them together.

10. Optamix

Optamix New Member

:squint:

The car isn't what is killing my budget. Its the plane tickets.

I'm in a bad spot emotionally right now, I'm on the verge of walking out of my job to move back south. These once a month trips keep me sane. I'm seriously at the end of my mind about this.

Tonight was a great example.

Get off work after not talking to anyone in person.

Talk to my GF for about 5 min, but she hates phones and is in a bad mood because of school stuff. Dick around online. Go shopping and entertain my self by playing this new game(which was the highlight of my day). Go see a movie alone. Come back to an empty hotel room.

Call my best friend and talk for a bit, talk to my mom for awhile. Call Laney, who is still not in a great mood, she puts up with me for about 10 min. Time for me to go to bed and shes getting ready to go out and blow off some steam(finished her last final today) with her/my friends.

I waited 6 months for this god damn job to start. I went 6 months with out working being a deadbeat because this job "paid so well".

I would kill to go back, grab some shitty 35K a year job in Memphis, and be SO happy right now.

11. 4bangin

Every bill is what is killing your budget. I would imagine that putting nothing down on a $40k car would be a pretty large monthly payment. So, the car is killing your budget.

12. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I'm just breaking your balls.

I know this shit is rough on you.

I have a sad pathetic life, so if you want someone to bullshit with on aim. feel free to hit me up I am online for most of the day.

13. Kuet

Kuet New Member

timmah, i know your upset. Its ok. I know your at your ends wit with work. I understand.
    There are probably so many things and factors that make it tough.
    I dont know everything- but have you dealt with the man fan yet??
    Is he what keeps you up at night, like the boogeyman ?

:mamoru:

14. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I spend about 35 a week on food

15. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Damn dude it sucks but you have to focus on the good stuff and not dwell on the bad. I just moved about 1400miles away from friends and family for a job also but it pays well and my cars not as gay as yours.. Also my office has a huge screen thats 4 times bigger then the one at NASA mission control :p

16. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Dude, do you know how many of us would kill for your job? I would drop everything here to be able to have a job like that. Everyone of us told you what was going ot happen when you took this job and how it was going to be with you and your girl but you wouldnt listen. You better be god damn positive that this girl is what you want before you make a choice like this

17. Optamix

Optamix New Member

With everything that we have been through in the last month and we are still together, she has to be the one. Neither one of us would deal with some of this stuff for just some random once a month hook up.

I would have never thought I would be handling it like this. I always thought I was stronger emotionally. I'm a girl it turns out :hsd:

18. Sylva

Sylva New Member

All in all, you've put your self in this spot, so I'm less inclined to feel bad for you.

You could of bought a nice used car, had a small payment, way cheaper insurance than waht you have now and had plenty of money left over for the plane ticket every month.

What are you going to do with you're not being put up in a company hotel every month. Sounds like either the car or the trips to see Laney have to go at that point.

I thought you were getting ready for a fight, if so, you need to eat like it. You're eating shit, and it will refelct in your shape and performance. You've basically made a lot of decisions that affect your long term future and thought about them in the short term. Did things that got your immeadite gratification.

Now your living hood rich and bitching about money being tight.

:hsugh:

19. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

You ever stop to thik that maybe you also just grew used to her being around and that now that you are going on with your life it just doesnt feel right?

20. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

And please tell me you didnt go and delete the thread about you buying a new car and everyone was telling you not to do it and to save your money

21. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Blamo.

So many young couples stay together and end up married even if they are really not in love with one another anymore. It's a comfort thing, you guys have been together for a long time now. She's all you practically know and vice versa so you stay together. It's a big scary world and you're not sure what you would do without her even if you're not around her anymore.(hope that makes sense.):noes:

Not saying that is the case, but I have seen it tons of times and done the same thing myself. If you truly still love each other, stay together and try to make it work. If it's a comfort thing...

22. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Sounds depressing but well organized.

23. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Nope.

About the only thing I would trade this car for is being closer to home.

I love it :wavey:

And you people are making the assumption that I'm dead pennyless poor :mamoru:

I've got a good 401K going and I've got some cash in the bank. But buying 2x 400 plane tickets plus the expenses that go along with it when you go home(eating out, dates, parking at the airport) is difficult to do.

Am I going overboard with the food thing? Yes. Is it entertaining to me? very much so. I get very bored up here.

I'm also drinking protein shakes to supplement my diet for the fight, its just not listed because it skews my small numbers.

Guys, I'm not starving. I could go buy a bunch of steaks right now, but I would rather SAVE some money, as opposed to what I've been doing for the last 7 months, which is spend it all.

This isn't about me not being able to eat, its about forcing myself to track my spending and save money, just in my own geeky way.

The interets, serious bidness :rofl:

24. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Its not a comfort thing, if it was it would have ended with a lot of crap that happened this month. It would be to hard for that(and honestly, I wish I could just walk away, I would be a happier person).

I've never, in my life, even considered the possibiliity, that I could love someone this much.

She is EVERYTHING to me. :wiggle:

25. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

You dont see something wrong with being happier if you wernt with her?