What home audio reciever for less than 450 bucks???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NomaN, Nov 22, 2002.

1. NomaN

NomaN Guest

The only thing that I really would like is 6.1,THX,and at least 2 optical ins.

I am going to hook up my 36" Toshiba HDTV, My sony DVD Player, and my PS2.

Thanks for any input.

Brands that I am looking into would be Sony,Harman Kardan.Yamaha...

Brands I would not consider Pioneer
  2. CNR

CNR I come bearing Triominos!

Nov 15, 2001
    I don't think your going to find a reciever with THX surround or THX certified (not sure which you meant) for 450 bucks.

For $500 you could get the Denon 1803 which is a 6 channel and has 3 optical, 1 coax digital input.
  3. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

May 6, 2001
    Harman Karden and Yamaha are good. You won't find a worth while sony for less than $450. Most new recievers now have at least two optical ins, unless you are looking at the really cheapie ones.
  4. blueNcream

blueNcream win OT Supporter

Jun 15, 2002
    I just got my 6.1

I went with an ONKYO
  5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

THX certification doesnt really mean shit for home use, unless your going to have a dedicated, prepaired, home theater room, that is constructed withen the tolerences for THX certification. And even then your chances of succes are slim. All your doing is paying for a name. And its not worth it. Some of the super high end equipment gets a THX cert by default...but for $450...nto a chance.

I was going to recemend the 1803 as well, untill i saw he too recemended it. Ive been a big fan of Denon recievers. And probibly wont buy anything else. So scrounge up an extra $50 and get the Denon.

Oh, and one more thing, if you have an HDTV, and a decent 5.1 setup, you OWE it to yourself to get an XBOX...best game experience EVER! Seriously, it will blow you away. The progressive scan output of the XBOX is unrivled, and the 5.1 sound is somthing you can only get on the XBOX, and WOW what a difference it makes. So go get one!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2002