COMIC what have you been watching?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by smell my finger, Dec 11, 2003.

1. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

there's been some really good series comming out fansubbed recently... my short take on some of the stuff ive been watching, mostly compared to each other.. though they're all excellent.

Naruto episodes 1-61 - we all pretty much know what this one is about. addictive story with cliffhangers at the end of every episode .. about a group kid ninjas discovering their powers and dealing with some heavy personal issues that drive their develepment. good animation, very creative ninja battles, and characters that make you want to find out more about them, the series doesn't look like it's very close to concluding ... highly recomended.

Hellsing episodes 1-13 - as of right now this is the complete series ... about a vampire that is employed to hunt other undead creatures and vampires by a secret orginiazation in england. Dark and gothic, it's the most graffic and 'adult' anime ive seen recently. involves some cool battles that mix guns, swords and magic powers, the story line isn't as cohesive as the others and the characters as a group aren't as intriguing, but its defintally worth watching for the value of each episode as a stand alone story.

Full Metal Alchcemist episodes 1-10 - wasn't sure i was going to like this one at first. the animation is bright and clean, and the characters are likable, but story didnt seem very interesting at first ... it's about two brothers who practice the art of alchemey, sounds kinda lame, but they use it like a spell caster type would use magic, and it produces some cool results. the best part about this series is the quick pace the story moves along at, and the overall tension most of the episodes have. there is a creepy undertone to performing alchemey transisionts, almost like a black art in magic... it lends the seires a lot of suspense. i didnt think so at first, but seems more mature than naruto.

Gunslinger Girls episodes 1-7 - if you're into firearms at all, this is a must watch ... i haven't seen such realistic treatment of guns in general in any anime, and in very few movies.... the music is incredible and the animation is very good, though it's a little soft at times, like the whole series is covered by a soft, fuzzy light. the stories are defintally character driven, as the plot really hasn't moved along much. basically it is about a goverment hit squad, they take young girls and implant them with cybernetics or something that make them super soliders, brainwash them and send them out to kill. it's a little :ugh: at first, but there is a deeper storyline going on between how happy they are doing what they do and the relationship the have with their handlers. if you get over the fact that it's a bunch of pre-pubescent girls working with 30 year old men, it's a really good seires :o

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003
  2. tom3

tom3 ...

you covered Naruto and Gunslinger Girl pretty well, so i'll leave those. others that i'm watching...

Ai Yori Aoshi - Enishi: if you've seen the first season, you already have a good idea of what this is about. this is very light hearted, feel good type of romantic comedy. they haven't introduced any new main characters thus far... and it's basically a continuation of their lives, each making 'new, fun memories with everyone'. it's not at the top of my list really, but it's a nice change of pace and something to watch while waiting for new eps of other series that i'm watching.

Gilgamesh: when i first started watching this, it totally weirded me out because of the old school style animation and music. it reminded me of some kind of frankenstein movie. but the story has captured my interest, and i'm really curious as to what's going to happen in the future. basically, there was some type of terrorist attack by 'the professor' that changed the world. there are two conflicting organizations.. one led by the professor, and the other by one of his former assistants, who has now taken the professor's son and daughter under her wing. monsters, developing supernatural powers, and music are some underlying themes so far.

Gungrave: i love this one. the way it started out reminded me of berserk... how things are in the present time, then it flashes back to the past to give the viewers a good sense of the history. it's also reminds me of cowboy bebop, not so surprisingly since it was made by the same studio. the plot follows the two best friends and their relationship within the syndicate with a lady friend that seems to be in the mix of things. i feel that the storyline here was what was missing from bebop that could have let the viewers really understand the past between spike, vicious, and julia.

3. smell my finger

i watched a couple episdoes of gilgamesh.. i never got into it so i never watched more than taht :hs:

gungrave is licensed right? i couldnt' find the first couple with seeds, so i downloaded episode 9 :o .. .it was ok, but didnt seem awsome, i guess cause i had no real background to the storyline.

Oh, and is the voice actor for Naruto (the kid in the series) the same guy that does the main older brother in Full Metal Alchemist? if not, it sounds a LOT like him sometimes. :dunno:

another point between naruto and full metal (because i just started watching naruto 62) ... the animation is about the same, grade wise, but naruot is more detailed, but more washed out, color wise.. i think i already said it, but i really like full metal's bright, clean lines.

4. tom3

tom3 ...

yea.. it's licensed. i don't think it would be too great jumping straight into ep 9. there is a LOT of development in the story, showing how harry and brandon always stay by each other and move up in the syndicate. but the first ep is the most important so that you know what everything will eventually lead up to.

5. smell my finger

that actually sounds pretty cool... i really like harry and brandon.. the Brad dude in the episdoe i watched was both cool and corney :hs:... comming from Gunslinger Girls, his gold and silver revolers looked really weak, not in a power sense, but more like 'couldn't they have tried harder to make a cooler gun' .. :sad2:

6. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

in order of most recent viewing

happy lesson - was alright, kinda like love hina, a little dull thorugh and too cute/happy

now and then, here and there - GREAT ANIME, not your t ypical fantasy anime, fucks with your head

gilgamesh - watched 5 eps and couldn't stand it

scrapped princess - pretty good overall

last exile - very good

7. RDB

RDB Blinded By Subpar Modulators

Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi :o

Chrno Crusade

Condor Hero

Full Metal Alchemist

Gilgamesh

Gunslinger Grils

Gun Grave

Last Exile spolier[color=f1f1f1]was severly dissapointed when Deo was killed off[/color]

Naruto

also just read the whole Please Save My Earth Manga :o saw the anime "series" if you could call it a series since it ends at ep 6 before you even find out why Rin wants Tokyo Tower

8. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

Currently im working through GTO and Full Metal Panic 2 as they come out

9. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

oh yeah full metal panic 2, awesome but so disappointed it is so short

10. baboymo

baboymo Have you been circumcised?

I'm currently keeping up with:

Macross Zero
    Stand Alone Complex (GITS)
    and Galaxy Railways

11. mkiikid

mkiikid Guest

Initial D &
    Trigun

12. Skyre

Skyre Guest

NGE, XTV, Initial D, FMP, Hellsing, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Vandread, Princess Mononoke, Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust, GITS

13. LKJ824

LKJ824 New Member

I'm goin through Azumanga Daioh, and will be watching Full Metal Panic Fumoffu once I have the full series. I can't stand watching a few then stopping cause I don't have the next expisode...

14. Sandberglar

Sandberglar Go Suns! OT Supporter

Since One Piece has been unliscensed Ive been downloading and watching this series like crazy. It is sooooooo good! I am at episode 49 and this series never has a dull moment.

I am also following
    Naruto
    KGNE
    Saikikage Cromartie High
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Tsukihime
    Planet E's
    Peace Maker Kurogane
    Mermaids Forest
    and Chrno Crusade

Like em all.

15. Whojive

Whojive Form a Fucking Wall OT Supporter

just finished
    Kanon, Green Green, Scrapped Princess

watch weekly
    Gunslinger Girl, Naruto, KGNE, Planetes, Full Metal Alchemist, Chrno Crusade, BPS,

in various stages of being watched
    Azumanga Daioh, Full Metal Panic S1 & 2, Macross Zero, Macross 7, One Piece, Twin Spica, Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi, Last Exile, Kodomo no Omocha, Star Ocean EX

thats all i can think of at the moment

16. Draven2575

Draven2575 Taking one responsibility at a time

full metal alchemist
    gungrave
    gunslinger girls
    maburaho
    chrno crusade
    planetes
    naruto
    bottle fairy
    sailor moon live
    macross7/zero
    ...tons more... (gotta go buy another spindle of cd's-i prefer the dark blue tint from verbatim)

17. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Last Exile
    Chobits
    Azumanga Diaoh
    FMP
    Samurai Deeper Kyo