WEB What happens when you purchase a domain?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Julio, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Julio

Julio New Member

So I have a few question about domains that I couldnt really find by looking at the stickies. I have some good ideas for domain names. I also know I've seen/heard about people buying domains and the reselling them for a profit. Im semi-interested because I think I've got some good ideas.

(i know there was a section about domains this but I want individual input)
    Where are good places to purchase a domain?

Does a blank page come up once the page is your or do they put up their(company you purchase the domain from) own page?

How is the domain officially mine? Is there some sort of documentation or is it all through logins?

Once I resell how much would the reseller company get? How much do I get? or how does that work exactly?

Is this really something that can make me some money? Im not looking to make thousands or anything like that but at least 100% profit.

Anything else I'm missing?

2. Jesse

Jesse PSN: iamajesse; XBL: Inhale My Rod; G8 GT crew; Ne OT Supporter

If you buy a domain, the place you buy it from usually will "park" it for free. (they can even make money off doing this)

Once you redirect it, it will then goto whatever you link it to. Your hosting, or another site, etc.

3. MaK10

MaK10 OT Supporter

it's hard to buy a new domain these days and be able to turn a profit off of it based on the domain name alone.

4. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

Where are good places to purchase a domain?

I personally like using namecheap, fabulous and godaddy. You shouldn't have to pay more than $10 to register one though.

Does a blank page come up once the page is your or do they put up their(company you purchase the domain from) own page?

In a lot of cases they will direct it temporarily to their own parking pages where they make the money on any clicks. If you plan to use your own parking or a temp/for sale type page then you should just set up the nameservers you want to use (or point the IP) right away.

How is the domain officially mine? Is there some sort of documentation or is it all through logins?

You registers to use it for a year though if you don't renew you have a bit of time after to grab it back up but most registrars charge a lot for that.

Once I resell how much would the reseller company get? How much do I get? or how does that work exactly?

There isn't really a "reseller company" or anything. Once you register it or buy one from someone and you have control of it, you can sell it for whatever you want..as long as you find someone willing to pay for it. Depending on how you sell it, there could be fees associated with that (ebay fees for listing, paypal fees for accepting payments or if for an expensive name escrow fees).

Is this really something that can make me some money? Im not looking to make thousands or anything like that but at least 100% profit.

Depends really. People who say "all the good ones are gone" are usually talking about the great dictionary words and generic terms that sell for tens of thousands up to tens of millions. You can still find decent available domains and there are old registered names dropping all the time as well. Odds of finding a million dollar domain aren't very likely but you never know what someone is willing to pay for something. There are a lot of people that make a lot of money by just registering decent short phrases and resell them on ebay for a few dollars over what they registered them for. Some might be catchy enough to get a small bidding war to get it up to several hundred while a lot probably won't sell very well. Just depends how good you are and what people are looking for.

Anything else I'm missing?

Buying to resell on ebay can be a lot of work for a few bucks. You can really only make a lot with bulk and unless you can automate it you would really have to like doing it to do enough bulk to make decent money lol. But if you are good enough finding decent names, you might be able to find enough that will sell for a couple hundred to help make more. Best way for that is to just watch ebay to see what people are bidding on a lot and "cheap" names that get a lot of bids will give you an idea of what gets people bidding.

5. Julio

Julio New Member

thanks i never even thought of selling on ebay.

6. Ebtek

Ebtek Afraid of 138

feel free to post the domain names you are thinking of registering, and we can help

7. Finest

Finest OG #93

Great, another domain squatter in training. :rolleyes: