What happens when calories in <<<< calories out?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by jayfung, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayfung

jayfung 軃家拎

How long should I be sleeping a day? At the moment, I'm sleeping 12 hours a day, and only eating 2 meals a day.

(5'9 @ 210 lbs)
    Daily Output = 3600 calories
    Daily Input = 1100 calories
    -------------------------------
    Daily Burned = 2500 calories

Is this healthy? It doesn't sound healthy so I'm asking OT what changes could be made to my sleeping/eating habits. Right now I'm trying to burn as much fat off as possible.

2. icup

icup OT Supporter

This will work for a maximum of a week. Then your body will adjust and consume less calories thus reducing your calories differential. And how the fuck do you sleep 12 hours a day. Sleep for 8 hours and spend that other four doig something useful. And at minimum you should be having three meals a day.

3. devman

devman New Member

way too few calories bump them up to around 2500-3000

4. _Kanwisher!

_Kanwisher! Guest

My cousin is having a similar problem, he doesn't sleep too much, but he works long hours and is eating about 2 meals a day, he goes to the gym with me and in 2 weeks he has gain 7 lbs.

I don't know enough about F&N to put reasoning behind the fact that he doesn't eat much, then on top of that he is working out with me, I want to help him, can someone explain the reasoning to why he could be gaining or why he's not losing, what should he change and WHY

5. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Well what is your goal?

I prefer something like 4 or 5 meals a day, pretty evenly distributed with good nutrition at each one (hit some complex carbs earlier and have a good combination of protein, carbs, and fat at each meal; don't have too much processed sugar in food products, etc).

Keep your metabolism working all day and your body will feel a lot more energized and less likely to crash hard. I'd aim for more than 2200 calories per day and work in some cardio and weight training when you can. On days you work out you should kick up the calorie intake by perhaps having a protein shake or protein-rich meal afterwards.

Eat smart, clean, and somewhat often. After a week it will become clockwork. Know what you are going to eat next hours before you are even hungry.

...And for God's sake 12 hours of sleep is way too much.

6. jayfung

jayfung 軃家拎

I'm going to cut it down to 8 hours sleep starting tonight :hs:

My goal is to cut down from 210 to 170 over the course of couple of months.

Any tips on how to fit protein shakes into my daily diet plan? Also I want to ask, what do some of you eat for your meals everyday?

7. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

210 to 170 in a couple months is possible but not probable.

Here's how your typical day may go:

8:00 AM wake-up
    8:15 AM eat breakfast - old fashioned oatmeal with some honey, a piece of fruit, egg whites)
    12:00 PM eat lunch - grilled chicken/turkey breast on whole wheat bread w/ lettuce, tomato, low fat cheese (no mayonaise. try spreading hummus on it, it's very good); piece of fruit

3:00 PM midday snack - celery and peanut butter / apple with peanut butter / handful of almonds (some sort of combination of these)

6:30 PM dinner - piece of fish with lemon, green veggies

9:30 PM shake - 1 1/2 cup skim milk, 1 or 2 scoops of protein, 4 cubes of ice, 1 banana (or half if you wish) blended into a nice shake

12:00 sleep
    --------------------------

This is what might be a typical day for me. If I work out after dinner (an hour and a half or so afterwards) I may add another carbohydrate to dinner for the workout (maybe some yogurt). Then, my post workout shake will curb my appetite for the rest of the night and if I worked a muscle group pretty hard I'll want to include a few more carbs (say blueberries) to the shake as well.

It's all about seeing how your body responds to foods. This plan is very good for my work, appetite, and workout schedule. It's not perfect for everyone, but it gets the best response from my body (this I know because I've tried a bunch of different ideas)

8. jayfung

jayfung 軃家拎

That template looks like a good one to follow.

What are some alternatives to oatmeals, grilled chicken/turkey sandwiches, and fish? I want to mix it up a little and not have to stick with the same foods everyday.

9. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

You lose muscle if you eat way under maintainace, you body needs the energy to fuction correctly. sleep is great for you, you realease more growth hormone while asleep, it has other positive effects. I only sleep 5-6 hours a day :( not by choice

10. uf20wop

uf20wop OT Supporter

you gain 150 lbs an hour

11. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Are you working out?
    You're not burning 3600 calories a day unless you're an endurance athlete with a heavy training load. Sorry. You're probably burning a lot less than you think. And 1100 calories? Unless you're doing a PSMF (and you shouldn't be doing as much activity as you claim on that anyways) 1100 calories is way too low for you.

12. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Word. I think your calorie expenditure is way off..

But if it WERE true and the details you posted are true, then you wouldn't maintain much muscle mass at all...

13. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Alternatives for chicken/turkey is any sort of lean meat that you can get a hold of. You can even pick up lean ground beef and make a burger or throw it in a pan and put some spices on it. You can also sub with tunafish.

The idea is if you sub oatmeal out, put a complex carbohydrate in (search glyemic index foods in google and find a site that has a list of foods and their index). Basically, you'll want to eat something with a low glycemic index, and packs some nice carbs for energy.

You can sub out whole wheat bread for pretty much similar foods. I was just making the point that if you are going have bread, eat unbleached bread (so no white bread). Whole wheat bread has fiber to make your digestive tract work more efficiently, it holds more nutrients than white bread, and you are less prone to crash after eating a meal with wheat instead of white.

14. DatacomGuy

Great reply..

15. jayfung

jayfung 軃家拎

I was thinking that too...but according to fitday.com

Calories Burned Today

cals % total Total: 3583 Basal: 2131 59% Lifestyle: 919 26% Activities: 533 15%
    I was surprised too how much my body needs per day just to function (2131!) Is this accurate?

16. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

you die deur

17. _Kanwisher!

_Kanwisher! Guest

Why don't you give us an idea of what you're doing that is burning over 3,000 calories

18. Elfling

Elfling New Member

How much do you weigh?

What is your current workout schedule like?

As a general rule of thumb, your bodyweight in lbs x12-15 is the amount of calories you burn for maintenance.

19. jayfung

jayfung 軃家拎

I weight 210 @ 5'9...I guess fitday is calculating the calories I burn for maintenance with lbs x10.

Alternating workout days with cardio days 6 days a week...sunday off.

For cardio, I just hit the track for about an hour, alternating jogging, sprinting, walking.

I only work out my upper and mid body because I don't want to increase my lower body muscle anymore...its already huge (muscle-wise) and is unproportional to my upper body.

20. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Uh oh

21. _Kanwisher!

_Kanwisher! Guest

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ...breathe :eek4: ......:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

22. jayfung

jayfung 軃家拎

fellow beginner, get the fuck out of my thread and make your own. i'm trying to educate myself here and everyone's been helpful except your faggot ass.

23. Elfling

Elfling New Member

12 hours a day is a lot to sleep, imo. Are you still in college or school of some sort? Is that why you're only eating 2 meals a day?

You'd be better served by eating a little more and eating more spread out than 2 meals. 3 meals or 6 meals, doesn't really matter, but you'll do better spreading your calories out. 1100 calories (if you're really accurately tracking) is less than a 100 pound girl who works out would eat for maintenance.

24. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

If you really want to know, IM me. My roomate is a 4.5 star sous chef, and she knows how to cook light, with good foods.

25. DatacomGuy

I'm assuming you input everything you did, including walking around at work/school, etc, right?

The basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the number of calories you burn while at rest. BMR decreases with age, but can be increased by increasing your cardiovascular activity.

Your BMR is so high because you sleep so fucking much.

According to the Harris-Benedict equation:
    For men, 66.4730 + (13.7516 * w) + (5.0033 * s) − (6.7550 * a)
    where w = weight in kilograms, s = stature in centimeters, and a = age in years..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.