MMA what gym(s) have you trained at?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by geekboy, Dec 21, 2009.

1. geekboy

geekboy Target Agent OT Supporter

1) Ultimate Combat Training Center, Salt Lake City. Mediocre training/instructors, excellent equipments, cheap membership fee

2) Arizona Combat Sports, Tempe Arizona. Excellent training/instructors, good equipments, expensive as shit

3) Joker's Wild Fighting Academy, Socal. So and so training/instructors, mediocre equipments(but that's going to change), relatively cheap membership fee

2. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

wtf when did you train at ACS?

3. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Uh Oh.

4. geekboy

January 2008 to October 2008

i only sign up MT class with Trevor. no jits

5. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

are we talking trained as in.. signed up at? or trained as in visited

6. geekboy

full fledged/contracted member

7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

1. beverly hills jiu jitsu

didnt like it.

2. rey diogo BJJ

liked it

3. new breed

liked it

4. ralph gracie OC

like it

8. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Minnesota State Grappling Squad - no one knew anything, used gym equipment
    Rob Voss' basement :greddy: - sucked
    Petushin MMA - decent? was stricky judo/bjj at the time, now it's MMA based. They used to have old shit but now have newer stuff
    MN Kali Group - junk. tma school with a couple of mma based classes a week
    Docs / Wolfpack Jiu Jitsu - the best ever. spring loaded mats, family atmosphere, black belt instruction. this is "home"
    Central Do Brasil -our new affiliate that is simply cheaper mats and a couple of guys. I go here once a week - nice cause theres only 4-6 guys a class and its still black belt instruction. Docs is my home but CDB is a good time when I'm wanting a lazy bjj night.

9. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Atlantic City MFS affiliate - Liked it, but knew there was better instruction in the area.
    Yamasaki BJJ Affiliate - Black Belt instructor, awesome atmosphere and a lot of cool guys.

10. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Westside MMA - Little Rock, AR - First and only gym I represent

Nova Geração - Rio de Janeiro, BRAZ - Trained daily in Brazil for 2 months so I paid. Great guys that I miss a ton.

Gama Filho - Rio de Janeiro, BRAZ - NG was at night, GF during the day 4x a week. More black belts on the mat than I've seen at any gym at any given time and all of them humble and happy to roll with lower ranks.

11. jeffswain

jeffswain OT Supporter

alliance training center chula vista - brandon vera's gym - beginner muay thai. liked it a lot but after a year i stopped due to budget stuff

12. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

know how i know youre asian?

13. SHORTSHIFTER

SHORTSHIFTER Old School Lurker

Toronto BJJ --- great instruction and good guys... owner is hated by most Brazilians in Toronto
    RevMMA - great everything (current)

sorta trained at

Grant Brothers MMA - good instruction great facility ...
    brand new gym so everyone was new ...and the owners are kind of clueless.. seems like they are cashing in on the mma, didnt seem like they were gonna be around for a while
    i signed up but eventually left to go back to my old gym

Academia Upper, Nova Uniao Academy headquarters- i am only listing this cause i had to pay for my 2 weeks of training .... great everything... miss it wanna go back

14. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Nakashima Dojo - Judo
    love the place, it started out with a pretty good mix of guys, but membership has since dwindled. when i first went there, this fatty weighed 220 pounds, instructors worked hard with me to get me into tournament shape. in 6 months, lost 50 pounds. Amir is my favorite instructor by far. willing to teach everything he knows, and does not let me get away with stupid shit that will get me owned in a tournament. I will never leave this dojo - $25/month

Dynamic MMA - BJJ
    liked the place a lot when i first went there, good atmosphere and great instruction. later on, there was a lot of bullshit politics between different schools so we couldn't enter certain tournaments. People there were friendly, but a lot of idiot "yo bro, i'm in mma" fuckheads around - but that can be said for any gym. Quit this place, i wasn't enjoying it as much as i thought i would. Cheap, relatively. $100/ month. My training partner from judo and I were seen as the judo guys.

Seinin Dojo - good gym, friendly atmosphere, and very casual, no crazy japanese tradition. Good instruction, but they don't really criticize our technique as much as much as instructors at nakashima. Will stay b/c of huge variety of training partners.

15. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

localfool - :bowdown:

16. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

:bowdown:

i've known Phady for a long time, awesome guy/coach

17. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Pendergrass Academy - Only place I've been signed up and trained at on a regular basis. I love it. Been there more than 3 years.

18. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

Gracie Barra Jacksonville formerly Royce Gracie Jacksonville - :hsugh: worst place to train at ever, dude basically bought his black belt after switching to Gracie Barra from Royce, Summer 2006 - Summer 2007.

North Florida BJJ/Relson Gracie - currently training here now and it's the best BJJ gym in Jacksonville hands down. First with Black Belt Lionel Perez and now with Daniel Moraes, Summer 2007 - Present.

19. IS300_TRD

IS300_TRD Active Member

20. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

Fresno Judo Club - Love it. Best dojo in california, hands down. Has one of the last living 9th degree kodokan black belts. Great instruction, everyone is awesome.

Vahalla Training Center - Santa Barbara, love it. Awesome equipment, awesome instruction. I get SAMBO and san shou from here.

Team Quest, temecula - Like it. The only bjj instruction i've ever had. Great conditionin, great training. Equipment and training is awesome. Everyone who isn't on the fight team pretends that they're on TUF and it's annoying.

21. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

University of Southwestern Louisiana (Now UL Lafayette) Tae Kwon Do. Bunch of 20 year old guys trying to kick your head into next week. Excellent instructors. Trained here from January 1990 to May 2003.

Elmwood Martial Arts, Jefferson, LA. Another affiliate school of the TKD school USL was with. Great instructor, so-so classes, too many kids/hobbyists. Trained here from March 1996 to June 2002, with two 1 year breaks for various reasons.

Scott Davis Ju-Jitsu, Mandeville, LA. Minami-Ryu Ju-Jitsu. Good teacher, borrowed facility from an Ishin-Ryn school, so it was nice. A couple really good training partners, and a couple lousy training partners. September 2006 - September 2007

Black Belt Academy Hapkido and BJJ, Mandeville, LA. Carlos Machado affiliate. Great atmosphere, great instructors, great training partners. The owner of the school retired because of his knees and shut the school down though. September 2007 - December 2008.

Scott Davis Ju Jitsu (again). January 2008 - Present. Not too many other options around here in yuppie hell, and the ones that are available don't mesh with my schedule.

22. KingJeff

KingJeff New Member

Sac Bjj
    Cassio Werneck
    Ultimate Fitness-Urijah Faber's gym
    Capital City Bjj-current gym I'm at.

23. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

South Florida Boxing under Daniel Valverde for like a week or 2 then he made his own gym.

South Florida Boxing under Troy Waugh for like 4 months

Koei Kan Accademy of Karate Do for 2 -3 years under Steven Mason and then Brent Carraway.

ATT for like a month or two under Ben

24. XJ3B

XJ3B wat

carlson gracie-great

xtreme couture chicago-sucked

gracie barra chicago- great