GUN What gun laws will we get in the coming years?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

So it looks like the next presidential election will give us the choice between giant douche and turd sandwich. Neither major candidate is a friend of gun owners or a supporter of the constitution and freedom. What do you think that, combined with a democratically controlled legislature will mean?

Personally I think the general public opinion of guns and the 2nd amendment is pretty healthy right now. Lots of people are carrying concealed and buying guns. I don't think drastic sweeping changes like bans are going to be a realistic concern. I think instead we'll suffer a few more tiny cuts in the form of "common sense" gun laws.

Assuming that McCain is the best choice for gun owners, lets look at what he's been responsible for in the past. Take a look at this write up of legislation he's sponsored a few years back http://www.davekopel.com/2A/IP/gunshows2.htm There goes private sales at gun shows.

My gloom and doom forecast might be the end of private sales at gun shows and perhaps all together. Other small "common sense" options might include storage requirements and waiting periods.

2. That fact is the gun control is political poison. It's rare that it's even mentioned any more by any mainstream democrats. The odds of any significant attack on the 2nd amendment are slim, regardless of who wins the presidency.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm not sure I agree that its poison. Obama has a strong history of gun control legislation, mccain's is right there too. Both them are guilty of recent violations I think. They're presidential candidates. It may not be a plank on the platform at the moment I wouldn't get too comfortable in the impossibility of "common sense" gun control laws passing in the coming years. If the economy does take a downward turn for a length of time, the crime rate will likely be going up and there's going to have to be a scape goat.

4. Congress has to pass the laws first. The democrats' sweep into congress in 2006 was lead by many Blue Dog democrats, and the last thing they're going to do is run too far to the left and embrace gun control. The shrill leftists like Schumer in the senate, and Pelosi and McCarthy in the house are still a minority.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I imagine we'll have another hard push at passing the same, or a worse, AWB.

6. Admiral_dick

Admiral_dick New Member

You gonna step up to canadian levels

7. I came across this article today:
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080610/D917CV983.html

While it doesn't have to do with gun control, it is an example of the type of Blue Dog democrat that I am talking about. This guy is actually on the board of the NRA. The others like him know that they were elected not by hard line leftists, but by pretty conservative people. Actually, looking at some of his positions, he's more of a Republican than many "Republicans."

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Few democrats are good on guns. I live in Ohio, our governor (Ted Strickland) is a Dem, but a pretty good one. He told the Ohio FOP to shove it up their ass on some CCW reforms and signed them today, along with the castle doctrine law. He even has an A rating from the NRA There has been some talk of him being a potential running mate of Osama. At a minimum I think you'll see a push for a new AWB. Much of it will depend on how far the Supreme Court goes in the Heller case which should be decided soon.

9. Are you incapable of reading? That link I posted talked about how one of the Blue Dog democrats won't endorse Obama because he's too liberal. Also, that same guy sits ON THE BOARD OF THE NRA.

I am in no way, shape, or form a democrat, but I am capable of seeing that there is a real division in their party, and if they want to keep power they can not afford to sacrifice all these Blue Dogs by pushing them to embrace politically unpopular ideas like gun control. Now, I'm not saying that the loony McCarthys of our government won't make noise about this and that new legislation they dream up, but there is little chance of anything significant actually passing. It's not that democrats like guns, it's that they realize that a real effort against guns would surely bring down many of the people that were elected in the 2004 and 2006 election who won long-held republican seats.

Politics is more involved than you seem to understand.

10. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I'm in a similar boat. I don't plan on selling any of my guns right now, but I'm thinking about buying an AR since I dont' own one. You won't have to wait until after the election for the price increases, if it looks like it's going to be Obama by September or so, the prices are going to be going nuts. Mags will be even worse. Hell, many vendors can't even keep Glock mags in stock right now, much less then. I live about 40 miles from AIM surplus, whenever they got a shipment of AK mags in, they are gone within a week or so. We are talking 10,000+ mags on each shipment to. The last time I talked to those guys each order was averaging around 30-35 mags per person.

11. I don't feel that gun ownership is either particularly strong, or weak in the current environment. I feel that there is very little political threat to it in the near-medium term future. The national mood is not against guns, and people are worried about the economy and the war. Couple that with the expected ruling AGAINST DC in Heller and I think that if anything the tide is beginning to turn against the leftists. I only hope that in Heller they go further than just DC and really deal the foundations of gun control a strong blow.

12. The problem with this is that they know that the only reason that the Blue Dogs won is that the independents who usually lean republican were upset with spending and the management of the war. The votes for the Blue Dogs were really protest votes against the republicans. The Blue Dogs know that the second they start acting like the rest of the democrats (the ones who couldn't get elected for so long in these districts) they are going to get voted out. While there are a number of real leftist-all-stars in the democratic party I really don't think they're going to be able to count on the Blue Dogs for anything more than token support.