MMA What got you into MMA?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by seanjohn, Apr 1, 2008.

1. seanjohn

seanjohn i like to lurk, so DIAF OT Supporter

for me, it was watching never back down.

jk, it was watching mark hunt and crocop fight at shockwave 2005. ive been a fan ever since and it sucks to see some of the top guys fall off, ala crocop, shogun, wandy, etc.

edit: watching crocop and hunt fight, for an inexperienced MMA fan, was like watching a war take place. the ebb and flow of not knowing who was gonna win and the struggles of both to knock out the other was epic. ive watched the fight since then and it just wasnt the same as i remember it, but that's prolly because im more MMA aware now.

havent really done any training yet besides light sparring with a coworker (who trains), mostly because school is crazy (engineering).

on a side note, does anyone know of any gyms in the lower mainland (vancouver, hopefully around the tricities area) that will do month to month? i have 2 months in the summer that im going to do some training.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. Trueno

Trueno Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

Frank Shamrock / Tito Ortiz

3. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

Pancrase ads back in the early 90s. well before I saw UFC adds. I knew from the adds. I wanted to train.

4. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I got into it when my brother rented one of those UFC tapes. The final was Tank Abbott versus Tatkarov. I was hooked but also 11 years old so I kinda forgot about it for a while.

I watched a PPV again in high school with friends and it was headlined by Tito Ortiz and all the fights we saw were gay lay and prays. Kinda forgot about it again after that.

In college, some dude sorta attacked me while I was on the way to my car. I started looking up self defense online and I found some of the Bas Rutten self defense tapes. I liked what I saw so I went to look for more Bas Rutten stuff and found his fight with Frank Shamrock and was hooked ever since.

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I watched TUF 1, wanted to know more about who everyone was, found UG, bullshido, SD. Found out my fav wrestler bam bam bigelow got his butt kicked, and tank abbott whom I liked during the old days because he was a brawler was now sucking ass, so I realized there's all these guys out there better than me and I wanted to get back into training a legit MA. Downloaded a gracie instructional, didn't know wtf was going on, so I went to kickboxing and a JKD class, got a bag and practiced what I learned at home, then trained in the now defunct keibijitsu for about 2 years.

6. Kuet

Kuet New Member

www.universalmma.com
    http://www.revolutionfightteam.com/
    http://dynamicmma.com/
    http://www.gibsonpankration.com/

let me know if any of those link dont work.
    I train at universal, but these are all good ones.
    Are you looking for mma gyms ?
    there are also lots of good MT specific gyms also.

edit: be more specific about the area- vancouver/tri-cities area is a big area to cover and depending on where your staying you wouldnt want to travel so far to the gym. Unless you dont mind.

7. HandgunFantasy

HandgunFantasy My purity you stole.

I started martial arts at 5 years old with Karate. Throughout the years I also did TKD, Judo and Jiu Jitsu. When I turned 15 or so I stopped with martial arts due to time and money constraints. I didn't get into MMA (as a fan) until I saw some dude watching an MMA event on the bus on a laptop. The mat was bloody and 2 beasts were beating the piss out of each other. I still to this day have no idea what fight it was other than it was in the UFC and big john was the ref. :o

Checked out the next UFC PPV myself and have been a huge fan since

8. seanjohn

hey thanks, gibson's is looking pretty good and it's the closest for me too. im located 5 minutes off on the coquitlam side of the portmann bridge.

i suppose i prolly would be more interested in stand up in this stage of the game so if you know any places that are strictly just MT then that's fine too. and if they are closer then that's a bonus.

9. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

I'm Asian. :o

10. Kuet

Kuet New Member

Ever since i was a child i was into competitive fighting. I took form based kung fu from the age of 14-17, my step dad is into fighting as well and he used to rent old school K1 fights when you really couldnt get them ANYWHERE from this japanese store he stumbled upon one day buying some japanese groceries.

I also have a japanese friend and back in the day he used to bring the latest k1 videos over from japan and we used to just watch them for hours.
    I watched a few ufc's back in the beginning, never got really back into it until i saw randy/ liddell 1,then i watched TUF season one and i became a HUGE fan of mma; fighting in general.

It has also taught me discipline, i used to be such a cocky kid and i would always get into street fights- always one on one but i thought i was king shit and i was really destructive.
    Learning about how much some fighters' respected each other and not to talk ( too much ) shit and try to stay humble all helped me out immensely in my real life activities and interactions.
    It has helped me go from agressive to passive passive agressive.

11. Kuet

Kuet New Member

if your close to gibsons, then go there. But its expensive as fuck.

12. Kuet

Kuet New Member

and ?

13. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

They call him Bruce

14. seanjohn

heh, ive noticed. 200/month for month-to-month...oh well, im planning to do some crazy conditioning the month before so that the time spent there wont be wasted.

so do you know of any MT gyms around this area?

15. SaviouR

SaviouR Dallas - Choke City :(

Watching Liddell smash Ortiz's face in the first time around.

16. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I grew up around a few boxing people so I spent a bit of time doing that. Then I ended up doing TKD as an off season sport for rugby and basketball our TKD gym was shared with a Judo class so we used to train with them sometimes too. At uni I was after some casual work and was offered some being a bouncer for a few clubs we trained twice a week doing some submission holds and that sort of thing.

17. Kuet

Kuet New Member

AND ?!

18. Kuet

Kuet New Member

not in that area, no.....
    there is one really good place but i cant remember the name of it now. Damn.
    There are few good places in vancouver but i dunno bout that area

19. csimptuc

csimptuc Bob Sapp says "haaay"

No idea. :o

I guess I went from watching boxing to kickboxing to discovering MMA.

20. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

Been in Martial Arts since I was a kid. Aikido, then later Jiu Jitsu. And started Kick Boxing when I was a little bit older.
    It all REALLY came together after I watched Never Back Down though.

21. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

:rofl:

22. I always watched a bunch of kung-fu movies, and then I came across some of those old sherdog highlights, started downloading pride and ufc events around UFC 40.

23. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Vitor Belfort, saw him back in 96 or so in the UFC and I was hooked...

24. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Samurai Sunday > Samurai Saturday?

25. nah, just bruce lee tapes and stuff, jackie chan, chuck norris.