What goes into the header file? C++

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by AbortionSurvivor, Mar 1, 2003.

1. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

what do i write in the header file? Is it just the class definition?
    I have another implementation file for my function definitions, but how do i link my main.cpp file with my implementation.cpp with my header.h?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You can put function prototypes in the header file as well.

Actually, you can put anything in a header file, but in general it's good style to just put classes and prototypes in them.

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

Constant definitions can also go into a header file.

Think of your implementation.cpp as a third-party library. You want to publish by way of your header file whatever information a user might need to make use of your library. Generally, those things are function prototypes, type definitions and constant definitions.

From a code maintenance point of view, if you have a project with many .cpp files, and you find yourself putting something like #define MY_CONSTANT 0x0000FFFF in a bunch of them, you're better off defining that once in a header file so that any change to MY_CONSTANT is easily propagated and less prone to cause a bug.

As far as your linking issue goes, all you need to do is #include "header.h" in your main.cpp file. Then, compile your object files, then feed them to your linker to create an executable.

4. BaZ

BaZ 2004 ACC Champions

as one of my software engineering professors told me:

you put anything in the header that you dont care about people seeing. everything else goes into the .cpp. all you need for a program to link is the headers and the object files, thus for many libraries, thats all youll get.