What FULL RANGE loudspeaker would you buy for $2k-$3k

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ittech, Aug 30, 2005.

1. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

Been looking at getting some new mains for the living room. I want something that is 2.5 way or 3 way/4way and covers at least 35hz to 18khz, preferably 20hz to 22khz.

Just been listening around to a lot of gear and trying to find names of some used gear (or new gear) I should look at.

Heard:
    Thiel CS2.4
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3
    Dali 870
    Revel F32
    B&W 705
    Vandersteen 2CE Sig / 3A Sig
    Usher X929
    Vienna Acoustics Mozart
    Probably more I'm forgetting

Not all of them meet the requirements and this is probably the wrong place to ask but maybe someone knows of some qualifying gear that's slipping my mind. :bigthumb:

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

def tech 7004

3. ittech

thanks will try to check out their line, they seem to have some better speakers than the 7004 that are up in the 2k range. :)

4. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

There's a lot of great speakers out there in your price range. What equipment will you be using them with, and what types of music do you listen to? This will help narrow down the choices. Here are a few off the top of my head:

Dynaudio Focus 220 (looks very similar to old Contour series)
    Revel F30 (used)
    B&W Nautilus 804 or 803 (used)
    Totem Forest
    Polk LSi 15 or 25
    JM Lab Electra series
    Martin Logan Aeon

5. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

the 7002s are great but they do have a line that is above that.... all their floors have an active sub in em, some 10 and others a 12.

6. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Magnepan 1.6QR's or try the 3.6's, absolutely beautiful. Also try the eminent VIII's take a look on audiogon as well, most audio stuff is meticulously kept by the owners. I picked up a set of Magnepan MG12's for 600, and they're minty. Keep your eyes out there. I myself prefer the ribbon sound. Good luck

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Check out the NHT T5 or T6. Oh, and if you decide you might want to go a little crazy, look at their xD line.

8. ittech

I've narrowed it down to the Revel F30 used, or Soliloquy 6.5i's used... The Sol's may be a better deal as they retailed for almost $7k a pair, while the Revel's are only around $4k a pair.

Didn't care for NHT as I'm trying to do a 75% music 25% HT system... NHT would be my choice if it were the other way around.

For music I pretty much listen to anything but R&B/Rap/Country kind of music... Classical, Pop, Rock, Jazz, the good stuff in most every genre.

In listening to a lot of speakers I've been finding a lot of great speakers that do great recordings well (Telarc Classical comes to mind) but they are too revealing of 80% of the recordings I would listen to... So I'm trying to find a balance and it may be the Soliloquy's because they aren't as bright or harsh on crap recordings like the Revel's... I think I just like silk dome over metallic tweeters...

I also like the Thiel 2.3's used, great prices and great sound, but it's no where near as low bass as say the Revel or Sol's, and requires some heavy ampage (which I don't have)

Didn't really like any of the ribbons or electrostats I've heard yet, except for the $15k+ ML's etc...

I do really appreciate the suggestions though and I'll post back when I figure out what I'm doing.

9. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

Totem Forests
    :bowdown:

I was looking all over the room for a hidden sub.

10. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Yummy, the totems would have been my choice if it wasn't for my undying love of magnepans. Studiolab Speakers are absolutely excellent too, comparable to the totems. !

11. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

Have you thought about some B&W's
    I'm extremely happy with my DM604's