What Frequency HZ should I set my SUB Amp ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SpunkyXL, Aug 28, 2006.

1. SpunkyXL

SpunkyXL OT Supporter

I have a Alpine MRD-M1005 powering my 10' Type r Alpine SUB..I just want to know what the recommended HZ i should set my sub amp?

2. jamie_s22

jamie_s22 New Member

you'd probably want to low pass at around 80-100 hz for a 10"

3. SpunkyXL

SpunkyXL OT Supporter

arite.. thanks..I have mine at 80hz right now. Just wanted to make sure it was setup properly

4. SpunkyXL

SpunkyXL OT Supporter

What about the SubSonic Filter and LP Slope?

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

subsonic ~23 Hz. i xover my subs around 70Hz myself. I'll let the orion 6.5s beat down to 40 Hz

6. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

12db slope and subsonic off.

7. johnson

johnson New Member

Depends how low your other speakers can go. There is no "set" frequency you should set it to. Put it to where it blends in with your front stage.

If your enclosure is sealed, turn SSF off.

8. trism

trism New Member

in a sealed enclousure, no need for a subsonice filter...in a vented enclosure if the sub tries to play loer than the tune of the port, it can bottom out, and over excursion, killing it....so you use the subsonic filter there....

set the lowpass at about 70-80Hz, slope on -12db...

9. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

50 on my 12" type R... I dont like when the subs get too high

10. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Crossover: As low as possible/practical. The lower you cross the sub, the better your imaging and overall sound quality. However, if your front stage (or mids/highs) can't play low enough for the frequency you set you'll have a nice hole in the midbass resposne of your system. 80-100hz isn't bad but I wouldn't go any higher than that. Lower is better. Basically my rule is if you can hear the subs themselves...meaning you can locate them easily (they don't blend in well with the front), you've gone too high.

Subsonic: While there is no driver-based reason for running one with a sealed enclosure (as has already been mentioned), I'd personally suggest running it at somewhere between 23 and 30ish hz too, depending on what type of music you listen to. Thing is, a single 10 isn't going to have any meaningful output at those frequencies anyway - there just isnt' enough displacment. By eliminating them from the output, the amp won't have to waste power on them (deep/subsonic bass requires significant quantities of it). This means the rest of your bass will play cleaner and hit harder than it would otherwise. I'd go for the lower end of that range if you listen to a lot of modern hip-hop and what not. If you're a rock/metal/country/jazz/whatever else guy, go higher as these genres have basically nothing down that low in the first place.

11. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Modern hip hop drops below 23hz? I dont really think it plays that low anyways, I always say youll be safe with subsonic on all the time (even if its a sealed box, you just dont need freq's you cant hear)

Heres a question too, on my amp I have a setting of either 0* or 180* whats that do

12. eighteen_psi

Right...it doesn't. Which is why I said aim for the lower end of that range for it :hs: I don't run a subsonic on my rig because A) I've got headroom to spare and B) the 12.5's roll off fairly quickly on their own. But in this case....I'd always run it somewhere. Where just depends on the music. If you subsonic the thing at 30 or something and play some deep rap or something you'll probably be disappointed. At 23hz nothing worth hearing is getting through. The rare subsonic-tune's subsonics aren't going to be worth listening to on a single 10 anyway.

And 0/180 is phase. Use whichever sounds better? :run:

13. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well whats the difference on the phase? whats it do? I cant tell a difference?

14. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

0 phase means the speaker plays "in phase" with the signal. So, for example, if given a simple sine wave, when the sine wave says to push the cone out it does that. However, with 180 degrees out of phase, if the sine wave says push out, the cone goes in. Basically, everything the signal says to do, the speaker does the opposite. With only that speaker playing the sound doesn't appear to be any different. Actually, it's exactly the same thing as hooking up a speaker backwards so the positive lead goes to negative and vice versa.

Anyway, the point of changing the phase is that sometimes a speaker arrangement/environment will cause two speakers' sound waves to cancel each other out, creating dead zones in the music. It's very difficult to detect sometimes. The way to decide which way is best is to have someone else adjust the phase while you're listening and to make sure they don't tell you which setting they are using. You know the phase is proper when the music sounds the loudest, which means the least number of waves are cancelling each other out.

Cliffs: Speakers like to interact with each other in ways to cancel each other out sometimes. Phase alleviates this problem. Adjust the phase so music sounds loudest. Make sure you use music with a broad range, not just test tones.

15. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well thats what I thought but it seemed pointless, thsi is the only amp ive owned that actually has that setting. I just keep it at 0 all the time :dunno:

16. eighteen_psi

It's really useful if you have subs facing multiple directions, or firing into each other (like, opposing sides of your trunk) or something like that. Then you can set one amp/sub to 0, the other to 180. But otherwise yeah, not overly useful. My amp amp needs an external accessory to have said feature :hsugh:

17. sirgallium

sirgallium New Member

I dont see the big deal with limiting the frequency to the subs. I set the filters as low and high as they go because even though subs are for low bass, they can do a good job of high range bass too if you dont limit them with frequency or power. And why would you ever set a low frequency restriction? Personally I have trouble getting some 8" subs of mine to go low enough, they seem to cut off sharply not sure if its the DRA-295 amp or the speaker.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  18. eighteen_psi

I already said why you'd want them crossed as low as possible :ugh: Drivers located behind you (or otherwise off axis) are horrible to have playing any more into the audible range than they must. I also already said why you'd want a subsonic filter in place too...subsonic frequencies require gobs of power, robbing it from other frequencies. If your rig can't displace enough to have shit for output below a given frequency (which I also already said), you're better off not playing them at all. Having dedicated midbass drivers and/or woofers (not subwoofers) in your front stage is another matter..but I suspect you're not talking about that.

That, and if you play a ported or bandpass-loaded driver below the port tune you'll blow it with hardly any power, as the enclosure no longer works :mamoru: Which was also already said. As far as your rig cutting out down low....pretty much every reason, other than your amp may suck, has also...guess what? Been covered.

Good post! :ugh2:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  19. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You have a LOT of reading to do. Start with say www.diyaudio.com and www.avsforum.com.

20. themolsen

themolsen New Member

also keep in mind that with many bass notes, you're hearing the harmonic more than the fundamental, so there's really no reason to go any lower than 30-ish hz.

21. eighteen_psi

For the vast majority of proper or semi-proper music this is true..though there are plenty of examples of synth bass (plus organ music and some other odds and ends) that go really deep. But even so...without an absolute shit-ton of displacement you're not getting any meaningful output that low even if you do listen to such things.