GUN What food/supplies do you have in reserve at home for when the SHTF?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by P-chan, Jul 27, 2009.

1. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I'm basically looking for a shopping list of non-perishable food items that will last at least a year or two.

I have a wife and a 7 year old daughter and eventually would like to get to the point that we have enough supplies to survive for 6 months if needed.

I've recently gotten my wife acclimated to the idea that if something were to happen, we'd be kind of fucked.

Assuming something like an EMP attack, in which the power would be out and the cars wouldn't be functioning, I'd have to survive on pantry goods - the stuff in my deep freezer would be gone pretty quickly, what I could cook, that is....since I have an electric stove.

That leaves nonperishable food items that don't require refrigeration. I was quizzing my wife while at the grocery store the other day about the type of food items we needed to look for. I specifically quizzed her on things to grab if the SHTF and she was at the grocery store.

2. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Also - I'm looking for edible everyday foods that we can rotate out as they near expiration. Not looking for stuff like MREs :o Obviously canned goods are going to be high on the list, as they'll survive for a couple years easy.

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

a gun and liberal neighbors

4. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

5. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I got that covered times about 300. Plenty of Obama bumper stickers in my neighborhood, even though I live on the white people side of Columbus. I wouldn't rob my neighbors unless it was life or death though. I'm just looking for a shopping list :rofl:

6. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Rice and beans. Properly packed away in buckets with mylar liners/bags and gamma seals they can last for decades. Canned foods can be rotated easily and would supplement the beans/rice while providing some variety.

Don't forget sugar, salt & oil.

7. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

I keep a mix of canned goods, freeze dried stuff and MRE's in the pantry. When I go grocery shopping I just buy double of any canned goods I get and store half. This way if the SHTF our diet won't drastically change. The sporting goods stores around have sales on MH and BP freeze dried stuff regularly, so I pick up some when they do. Also pick up a case of MRE's here or there.

8. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Wheres the best/cheapest place to get MREs?

9. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Ditto.

Did you guys see the thread of the Pattaya Fire and Rescue team butchering and eating a dude?

They looked awfully happy and satisfied with their meal

10. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I have a couple cases of tomatoes, a couple cases of beans, powdered milk, some ramen and some rice. Certainly not enough to keep us alive for any extended period of time, but I'm working on stocking up, and at least I have proteins more or less covered (beans and rice eaten together make up a complete protein). I try to keep a full propane tank on hand all the time ( I have 2) just in case I need it for something. We also have an all-electric stove but I have a large turkey fryer type burner and a gas grill with auxiliary burner.

You may consider adding winter squashes (several) and dried cranberries to your rotation. They're both high in vitamin C and keep for a long time. That'll keep you good to go in terms of avoiding scurvy, obviously coffee, tea if you drink it, honey is a great addition, sugar, olive oil, vinegars and lots of salt for pickling or storing any food that your garden might produce. Consider storing flour and yeast. You can make a number of quick breads with just those ingredients and water, then cook them on either a grill or propane burner, even with a wood-fueled stove. Powdered eggs would be a good choice. Herbs and spices (and hot sauce) will help keep you from wanting to kill yourself after eating the same meal time and time again. Herb seeds will store for a few years and let you plant an herb garden in the event that it's a long-lasting disaster, and give you a great deal more variety. Nuts will stay good for a while and if your family eats them, just buy a few jars. They'll provide some much needed fat in the diet.

11. Don't forget my camping stoves, which you made fun of. :fawk:

12. H Dog 14

H Dog 14 New Member

peanut butter is a good item to have on hand, as well as honey.

13. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

before going heavy with the freeze dried stuff, just start purchasing double or triple usual amount of non-perishables each time you go to the grocery store.

If you normally get 1 can of tuna per week for sandwiches, start getting 2 or 3 and rotate them as you buy more and use them up. Grab two boxes of noodles instead of 1.

If you hate spam, don't buy spam.

Buy stuff you like, buy stuff you eat.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com has some good info on storage and what to prep with

Two of the more recent podcasts about food storage:

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-243-20-simple-everyday-food-storage-options

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/food-storage-famland-and-new-currencies

14. Atheist

Atheist oh, hi OT Supporter

I can't believe people actually worry about this.

15. P-chan

P-chan New Member

This is great info, thanks Laurel :)

Anybody stock multivitamins or extra medications like antibiotics? How long do those keep?

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Obvious troll is obvious.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Because even during a natural disaster and subsequent power outage you'll still be able to make your weekly grocery trip, rite? :hsughno:

18. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

I have one of those massive bulk cans of peanut butter. That's about it. :mamoru:

19. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I don't think people a few years ago worried about planes crashing into buildings or what would happen if a hurricane destroyed their city either. You think the government will spring into action if the shit hits the fan in your town? It took FEMA 5 days to get water to the superdome to the Katrina victims. Gimme a break.

I'm not planning on building an underground shelter, or stockpiling massive amounts of supplies even. Just some extra food so that if needed, I can keep my family fed and healthy.

Seriously think for a second about what would happen if your city lost power for a few days? From a preparedness mindset, that's the BEST case scenario. No terrorist attacks, no EMP, no natural disaster, just the power went out for a week. A lot of people say "well I'd just go to the store and load up on groceries." What if the stores are closed due to the power outage? They can't ring anything up, and they certainly can't run any credit cards.

20. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I live and work in possibly one of the biggest terrorist targets on earth

yeah, WHAT A DUMB IDEA AM I RITE LOLOL!!1

21. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

Huge sack of rice and beans. Enough to last for months if need be.

Canned food that is rotated. Various nuts and seeds.

Extra salt. Not having salt would suck.

I need to start canning fruits and veggies. On the list to do. :o

Oh and I get multivitamins in bulk so I have enough of those for a long while.

and of course, enough stuff to make beer/mead/wine for a year if not more. 60 pounds of honey and 50 pound sacks of grain ftw. :o The world may be going to hell but fuck it I will have home brew as it burns. :rofl:

22. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Yeah, it's only irrational to think of these things until something happens. It's not like we're talking armageddon here, just any sort of natural or man-made disaster.

I was looking at this the other day, before the topic even came up, and I was tellign myself how effed I would be, lol. I have a good quantity of beer, which is good nutrients :)

Srsly though, I figure I could make it for close to 2 weeks without leaving the hosue, although that's probably a week with no power. I've got mostly canned goods and ramen, some canned veggies, but also a large amount of rice and a half dozen MRE's.

I'm currently planning to start stocking up on canned stuff but beans aren't a bad idea either. Having a garden helps but that's very seasonal since i'm not into canning and such. I have seeds around though which is handy, and I have some propane for the beer tree and a fair bit of charcoal, which is all convenient, even if not intended for disaster.

I would like to be able to eat at home for a few months from a job security/economic perpective, but I think in the case of surviving a disaster I'd be OK for the most part. I wouldn't mind being more prepared though for sure.

23. oakback

oakback New Member

I've been meaning to stock up on non-perishables, but haven't had the money lately. I usually have 10 gallons of distilled water on hand for various uses, 2 propane tanks and various camping gear (LED lanterns and hat-clip lights are great when the power goes out, much better than flashlights!), but that's it so far. We've been lucky, haven't had a major storm hit this area, and haven't gone without power for more than 8 hours.

I heard CostCo and other wholesale stores sell MREs, is that true?

I've also been looking at building a still, for distilling water (we have several large natural water sources within walking distance). Alcohol wouldn't be bad either, I'd imagine a good barter commodity.

On the side of every major intersection here, there's a big sign that says "THERE ARE ### DAYS LEFT IN HURRICANE SEASON, ARE YOU READY?" During the rest of the year, replace "left in" with "until".

24. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Katrina?

25. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

6 cases of bottled water
    4 cases of powerade zero
    about 15 3L water bottles

8 cases of MRE

I need to start stocking up on canned goods as well.