A&P what film?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Eric Happy Meal, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Eric Happy Meal

Eric Happy Meal New Member

what type of film do you guys use/suggest? (also what ISO?) i havent really developed a taste for a certain brand of film, but i definately dont like 100/200 iso, it seems like i can only use it if i want to go outside on a NICE sunny day, otherwise im suck with 1.8 and 1/60th.

but i do like the look of b&w pics more than color (much harder to get the right color saturation without PS to aid) and both color and b&w processing is fine.

2. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

I've used Ilford Pan F Plus (ISO 50), HP5 (ISO 400), Kodak Tri-X 400 and Plus-X 125 for my true B&W. I used mainly Ilford in the begining but Tri-X has grown on me and I use it more now

But it sounds like you'd like either HP5 or Tri-X, it's a personal preference so try both and see which results you like better. Pan F Plus and Plus-X I used for longer exposures

3. Eric Happy Meal

what exactley do you use the 50 iso for? just for REALLY sunny days or when you have a studio set up?

4. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

i'm a fan of the tri-x look :wiggle:

5. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

velvia slide film :eek5:

6. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

I used it with a series I was shooting outside with a tripod, with the intent of printing the pictures at 11x14 or bigger and I didn't want to have much visible grain.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

if you can have slide film proccessed (e-6) try Fuji Provia 400

the best films are amlost always 100 or less, the amount of grain is way less and the color saturation is incredible. Fuji generally has more rich colors, while kodak has more natural colors

try cross proccessing for some real fun, slide film developed through c-41 (normal negative proccessing) the colors are really cool and super saturated. kinda blows out the highlights though. Use kodak for that, Fuji doesn't use a clear base so your prints would be red or green

8. Eric Happy Meal

im not sure of any places that develop slife film, but im sure i could find some if i look into it. but the problem with that is that id need to have it exposed perfectly, and when using a light meter thats over 30 years old i think id be a bit off.

but i found this link: http://www.photo.net/equipment/film , and the kodak portra 400 looks really good.

9. mojito

mojito New Member

i wouldn't base too many oponions on their reviews. From a Film page

:I'm not sure why Black and White film makes sense any more. When I want black and white, I can just choose "desaturate" in PhotoShop and it is done. "

10. Eric Happy Meal

i thought that line was a little weird, but i was just going off of the samples they have.