What exactly is SCSI?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Repentinus, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

I've built my own computers but never had to deal with SCSI. But for my next project I plan on slotting 4 HDs in a raid config, probably raid 5. From doing research on it, I've noticed that the word (or anacronym actually) SCSI flying around.

Is it a PCI slot card that you plug the HDs into? Or is it something external? I tried to look it up online but what I was reading didn't really answer any questions.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yes - and buy an Adaptec Card. Some of them can be used in PCI and some of them need PCI-X (some can use either). Do NOT confuse PCI-X (which server boards use) and what is out now which PCI Express. Keep in mind if you do use a PCI based card, you are restricting yourself to the PCI bandwidth.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Quoted for emphasis.

I tested a SCSI drive on a PCI card and a SATA drive on the motherboard in the same machine. The SATA drive was a bit faster. SCSI is great in server applications where it's on the mobo, but with SATA drives so cheap, so big, so fast and so easy to use, there's no reason to use SCSI in a desktop.

4. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Thanks, that was going to be my next question.

5. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

dot.

i really can't add anything to that. the two of them have covered everything to my knowledge justly.