what exactly is emo?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by dbdraggin, Jul 28, 2004.

1. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

can someone explain this to me? ive seen teh phrase used alot recently in mags and on here but am obviously too dumb to figure out what it means. anyone?

2. HuntingFork

HuntingFork Eating Five Batteries

I really suck at describing music but the only emo band I like is Braid, and I usually hear them referred to as the "emo" band that defined the sound. I don't know how accurate that is but you can check them out here.

Seems like anymore the word emo is just another music industry label....

3. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

Heres a definition for you http://www.free-definition.com/Emo.html

Emo used to be hardcore punk with emotional lyrics, nowdays the term emo has been hijacked and dosn't really seem to hold much meaning anymore. It seems to be used to describe bands that are whiny, have no talent yet still somehow sell lots of records :dunno:

4. Yeah pretty much what fatlip said. I just have a couple other things to add. Emo was a little bit more than hardcore punk with emotional lyrics. It was also used to describe some indie rock/late-new wave stuff. I never have and never will really believe in a style of music called "emo". I just think bands that were categorized as "emo" in the correct way could've just been put in another category just as easily. I don't believe in categorizing music based on lyrics.

Today, people call bands such as Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, Dashboard Confessional, Weezer, Matchbook Romance, Midtown, practically any Drive-Thru Records band, New Found Glory, and a bunch of other bands as "emo". Most of them, with the exception of Dashboard and Thursday, are pop-punk. Just because a band sings about girls or ex-girlfriends doesn't make them an "emo" band.

I figured I'd put my two cents in before a bunch of people come in here and completely destroy this thread. So thanks in advance to all of you people who are going to do that.

5. beef316

beef316 New Member

Who calls Weezer EMO?

Dashboard is THE POP-PUNK EMO rip off.

6. I've never heard someone call Weezer "emo" in person. If I did, I'd probably be in jail for homicide. Although I have heard some stupid things. Like at a recent Streetlight Manifesto show, I heard someone outside the show say "No, no, no. Punk/ska doesn't mean two guitars. Two-tone means two guitars". It took all of my strength plus my desire to get home to not say something.

But back to Weezer. I actually read an interview in a magazine and Rivers was saying that a lot of people called Weezer an "emo" band and that he kind of resented it and didn't understand where it came from. So I dunno. There are a lot of dumb people in the world.

And I wouldn't consider Dashboard to be pop-punk. Although the Dashboard that is getting major radio play now isn't the real Dashboard Confessional in my mind. I like it much better when Dashboard was just Chris and his guitar. That I would've considered more folk/indie stuff. Now I'll agree that with the backing band (which I believe is mainly just the band Sparta) its mostly just pop-punk schlock that ruins the older Dashboard songs.

7. Jastard

Jastard New Member

See, emo's sort of become acoustic punk rock or just meaningful punk songs with the guitar's volume lowered.
    I remember back when I saw Sunny Day Real Estate in the hayday and they were described as founders of the emo movement.
    If that was true, Emo's changed a goddamn lot.

8. planb

planb itches in my teeth

emo is dead
    just like hardcore, grindcore, and punk
    except emo went out like a :greddy:

9. Jastard

Jastard New Member

Haha, yeah. Yeah it did.

10. aquaarmanix

aquaarmanix Guest

thanks for the definition of emo.

11. Jastard

Jastard New Member

Sorry if it got side-tracked, but I hope we helped a little...

12. grindcore isnt dead >_<
    i think stuff like nasum is a pretty big step up from the early stuff, in fact

13. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

emo and punk are almost diametricly opposed now. See what you all got to understand is that punk is not just a sound, it's also the content of the music combinded with the sound. Emo isn't really punk at all. The closest thing would be songs by The Buzzcocks, but even then they had a rebellious and sarcastic sort of tone to them (songs like Orgasm Addict,ect). THats nothing like the crap we see from shit eating bands like Yellow Card, Dashboard Confessionals, and perhaps the worst of the worst, Something Corperate.
    God I want to just slap these people, drags them by thier bad haircuts, make them do some speed, and then force them to fuck some ghetto whore in the ass! Make a fucking man out of them.

14. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

Grindcore's not dead yet! There's still some innovative bands around, and plenty of cross over bands that incorporate grind into there music.

15. planb

planb itches in my teeth

thats true. there are a lot of good experimental / ambiance bands that are grindy. like neurosis! but im not a big fan.

16. MWHC22

MWHC22 Bier/Deutsch/Homebrew/ Packers/Blackhawks/Outdoor

how in the hell can anyone call weezer emo?!?!?!
    Weezer has been around so long its not even funny. The earliest i can remeber listening to weezer at least 11 or 12 years ago..... back then emo wasn't even on the horizon. and punk had barely started becoming mainstream and popular.

anyone who says bands that old are emo needs a 2x4 with rusty nails to the side of the head.

17. MAD PUNK inDC

WTF, uhh emo has been around longer than 12 years, and so has "mainstream" pop punk bullshit. Considering that I've been involved with the scene since the 80s, I think I can remember what crummy bands people talked shit about, and what they said. Anyway that has nothing to do with weezer sucking ass!

18. MWHC22

sigh.... read my post again before spouting off. punk has been around along time yes... did i say it wasn't no. just becasue you were involved with punk doesn't mean it was popular. and since emo is described as being a type of punk also means that even though it hasn't been popular since recently it could have been aorund when punk was around as well simply by association. Thus it basically means that until it hit main stream it was most likely underground and therefore has nothing to do with weezer or any of the current day Bullshit having to do with emo/punk anything. Anything you refer to before punk hit mainstream is basically a different kind of music than 75% of curent day punk/emo stuff. also again just becasue you were into it doesn't mean it was mainstream. mainstream equals on radio and after the inception of MTV tv broadcasts as well...not to mention being able to buy shirts and cds at places like virgin records or bestbuy or some shit like that.

so basically yeah...just cuz you hate weezer and are mr. cool guy and have been a punk rocker since the days when it "meant something" or hadn't "sold out" as many people would put it...doesn't really have bairing on this. Oh and you never said what i just posted in the last sentance... so i don't wanna see any BS replys about how you or anyone else didn't say anything of the sort. Ive seen it and heard it before a good number of punk/emo peoples have stated as such. This is OT and i know as soon as something like that is read the next post focuses on that...it always does. But i digress.

19. MAD PUNK inDC

yeah WTF ever man! :rolleyes: Look weezer is emo, and they suck. I never said the people who like them suck, but weezer sure as hell does! Don't take it personaly. Emo is not a current term, it's been around since the 70s. As far as your asessment of me personaly, who fucking cares, make some more assumptions I need a laugh when I get home from owrk.

20. Dalius

Dalius Guest

:Owned:

21. joy division

joy division New Member

I'm so emo I cry stars

:o

22. MWHC22

If weezer is emo...then with all your massive amounts of knowledge prove it. Find some reveiws or mag articles proving its emo. if wezzer sucks then who is so great?...you better not say a bunch of bullshit again like above. I predicted it...and it came. who woulda thunk that could happen. Oh and find me a reference that emo has been around since the 70's. I bet you can't do that either. in fact i would think it would be hard to find reference at all for punk befreo the 80's as well. and where did i asses your personality :wtf: you're more messed in the head than i thought. oh and when you get home from owrk it would be my pleasure to make you laugh :o

23. MAD PUNK inDC

well if you want to talk magasines and pop culture get on google and do it yourself. Magasines don't meen shit, and never have when it came to anything remotely related to punk music. Shit some of the best bands, were probably never even mentioned in ink. If not being able to come up with evidence of underground rock music jargon make a person "owned" in your book, you obviously were never there to witness it! However I'm sure somebody on ebay has a collection of old independant "zines" that they are selling. Try there, because your not going to find it in shit rags like MMR, or Rolling Stone.
    Me personaly, I remember bands and I'll use the Buzzcocks as an example again, refered to as "emo", as far back as the mid 80s. I know that "emo" was already an old term back them, it's not any newer now. However emo rock from back then is NOTHING like whats being called emo now, just like what most of you consider punk, it's nothing like the old stuff I grew up on. It's been ripped off, made cosumer friendly, and remanufactured, just like "punk rock" has. I don't need to prove anything to you dumbass I was there, but if you want to live in ignorance, do it alone insted of spreading it around like a bad case of herpes.

oh yeah and weezer is a still a suck ass emo, oh let me rephrase that "neo emo" band, and if you want proof, download The Meat Men's song "college radio looser". There is a referance specificly aimed at weezer it pretty much sums up the general consensus on how most of the punk scene thinks of them, and if you don't know who The Meat Men are, you got no business talking any shit to me.

24. Dalius

Dalius Guest

scene sucks.

25. MWHC22

well you pretty much just summed up exactly what i thought you would say there. I knew you wouldn't find any proof... i knew you wouldn't post any references...and i knew you would make some coment about how you were there and blah blah blah underground blah blah blah.

so pretty much your just ranting and trying to establish yourself as being around when it all started blah etc blah. Apparently I am wrong an you are right cause you are the master of the music industry and have lived in every city in the country so you know every music scene there is since the birth of punk and emo that was 30 years ago according to you. Which incidently happens to be in the middle of the disco era and the end of whites softening afro-american music and re-distributing it. Then shortly after the rock era became the knew thing while punk remained underground and europe was harboring much punk and the beginnings of electronic and techno music. and Madonna by the way was the first american ever to get a electronicly based song into main stream america.

now after that short music history lesson for you i will go on to state this....

regardless of where you were and what music you were there for its beginnings...it has no bairings on music history in general becasue your musical experiences are limited to the area in which you lived. If you traveled 10 hours away it would have been a whole new world. in fact at the times in history you speak of punk was very localized if around at all. and very underground. just the same way as techno has been since the late 70's and early 80's....not until mide to late 80's did techno even begin to take a solid hold among people.and not until the early to mid 90's did it ever become common place throughout the country.

The same with punk. similar path and story of how it got here...and now it is packaged to make money by some jackasses in a big office building.

Now again i will say this. find me some proof. Iv'e been through a series of music history classes and have know many people in the music industry as my dad is in a band and i work as stage technician and audio engineer. Everything i learned that has gotten me to where i am today basically states that your posts are a self gratifying attempt to fell better about you having been involved in something before corprate america fucked it up. Go you! but none of that has any validity with whether or not punk and emo are older than the hills or wether or not weezer is emo. if you think weezer sucks....how does that have any bairing on this? if you think they suck...again bairing? if a band writes a song that is regarded as emo does that make them emo? what about other bands that make songs that fit in a variety of genres...which one do they fit into then? I can assure you that you cannot make anyone believe that every weezer song is emo. and i can assure you that you cannot do the same with saying emo is from the 70's.

If you would like to feed me more BS...then well...be my guest. but i need some facts and articles or something. the internet is broad. find it and link me to it. the burden of proof lies with you. What i have stated is fairly common music knowledge and would be a hard pressed task to disprove what i have said. And if what you said is true... im sure there are music history sites online to back you up...am im n ot talking about rolling stone or that bullshit. Im talking legitiment sites dedicated to the history of different kinds of music and even some e books too. :wiggle: