what exactly does it mean when a processor advertises enhanced virus protection?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, May 6, 2008.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i think it means that it is now supported by OSX. :p

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

aka "Execute Disable Bit" -- Provides enhanced virus protection when deployed with a supported operating system and prevents the code from infecting the system. Memory can be marked as executable or non-executable, allowing the processor to raise an error to the operating system if malicious code attempts to run in non-executable memory.

AMD advetised it to a bit ago and said theirs would "be enabled with Windows XP SP2"

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Intel calls it XD bit, AMD calls is NX bit
    same shit

5. solarian

solarian ya heard

OSX isn't Virus/hack proof you fool.

if OSX was on every computer like Microsoft it would have the same problems.

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

oh shut the hell up. i was making a joke.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The funny thing is, the only reason viruses can infect computers via cheap tricks like buffer-overflow exploits in the first place is because Someone von Neumann said it would be cool if data and executable instructions were stored in the same memory in the same format. So now we have to use special codes to distinguish data and instructions from each other, which pretty much is the really really really long way around to get the same thing as what a non-von-Neumann computer is to start with.

8. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

umm... It's far, far better to use the same RAM for data and code. Why? Because it would suck to have separate RAM banks for code and data, and have unused RAM in your code when you need more for data, or vice-versa

9. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

oh, and as for format, what format? 1s and 0s? You mean we can have a different format for data as we do code?

10. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

this reply should be good

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm not saying there aren't advantages to von Neumann computer systems, I'm saying security isn't one of them.

1. Yes, it's space-efficient to use the same RAM for code and data. I'm not arguing that point.

2. By "format" I meant the method used for allocating memory (and recording those allocations for future reference), specifically the use of a starting location and a length, without any markers to indicate what the memory is being used for to any process other than the memory allocator itself.

By itself, neither of those is a security risk; it's the combination of the two that poses the problem, as evidenced by any number of thousands of buffer-overflow exploits that intentionally request memory arrays right next to executable code, and then write data into (and past the end of) those arrays to disguise the replacement of legitimate code with malicious code as being a simple memory leak. There are two solutions to this problem:

1. Segregate the RAM used for code and data, which as you pointed out is space-inefficient;

2. Mark blocks of allocated RAM according to their usage (i.e. "change the format", as I ineptly described it before), which is time-inefficient instead, due to the extra processing needed to check each block of RAM to make sure it's supposed to be executable before executing it.

Now that one of those two methods has been implemented on a wide scale, the von Neumann self-mutating-machine problem is solved, to a certain extent at least. I was just marveling how the whole point of using the von Neumann architecture was to get away from restrictive memory-allocation protocols, and necessity has nonetheless forced us to come full-circle and implement them all over again.