A&P What equipment for Formula1 race?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BlackWRX02, Feb 23, 2005.

1. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

So I just reserved my rooms and got my tickets for the U.S. Grand Prix in Indianapolis. Buying the 20d friday with the kit lens. Just wondering what you all would recommend for lenses to take along.

I'll be doing (hopefully) a pit walkthrough on that thursday and then practice friday, qualifying saturday and the race on sunday. Will be all over the track every day except sunday, but not right ON the track. Will be back off it a little ways. Also going to try to get some autographs and photos in the manufacturers booths, etc.

also, I'm going to need a way to dump my pictures back at the hotel room b/c I know i'm going to be filling up CF cards quickly and I wont have enough to last the entire weekend. Probably will not have a laptop so I need some way to store them off the card.

2. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

what's your budget?
    seeing you probably don't need low light, for a zoom, Canon EF 70-200mm F/4L + a 1.6 (i think) teleconverter should work nicely. Sharp, extremely good saturation. One of the best, if not the best, bang for the buck lens Canon offers imho.

If you want something longer and don't have too much of a budget, there's a Sigma 50-500mm super zoom that's available. i'm not a fan of Sigma from past experiences but i've heard some very good reviews about this glass.

Not sure how wide of an angle lens you want, but i tried out the 10-22mm EF-S from canon and man, for a non-L lens, that thing is built very nicely and you can use a screw-in filter in the front, unlike the sigma 12-24mm which requires gel filters in the rear (easy to scratch front element too). Very sharp, and you can get VERY wide :)

If you want something that can copy from CF onto a portable storage device AND view them as well, it's kinda pricey, but I use an Archos AV480 PVR. It records video and plays them back as well and has an 80gb HD to boot. I paid $500 used from a good friend of mine, but they retail for well over $700 :/ What i like about it is it's basically a centralized multimedia station with many uses including a substitute to TiVo, portable video player for when you're on a long trip, portable storage, radio, etc so that's how i justified the price (hell, a tivo costs what...$250 and it's not portable, portable storage device w/o monitor is around $200....so in the end i wasn't paying too much in comparison :p)

if you have specific questions, feel free to ask away.

melloboy

3. BlackWRX02

awesome thanks for the info.

Was thinking of the 70-300, any idea on sigma for that lens? Price range is a little low this time of year having to pay for everything all at once.
    Hotel rates are rediculous for this race :ugh:

Room mate has brand new dell laptop he wants to sell for 600 but i dont want to spend that much. Might just buy some cf cards instead

4. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

how much is that weekend costing you to go?

6. BlackWRX02

Two race tickets were $288. That gets us in Thrusday for pit walkthrough, friday for practice, saturday for qualifying and sunday for race day. Assigned seating for Sunday, free roam of the track (except pits) on frida/saturday.
    If we renew tickets for next year might get to drive a lap on the track too :eek3: thats what they did last year.

hotels are rediculous. Found one about 30 mins away for 70/night. That was by far the cheapest we could find. Most were 200+/night :eek4:

7. sony

sony Active Member

Rent long telephoto lenses. 300+mm. :eek3:

8. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

:werd: and a monopod. With the long lenses a monopod us a must at races.

9. sony

sony Active Member

I concur! Make sure you have a monopod or your back will be sore. :hs:

10. BlackWRX02

whats the average price to rent a decent lens?

11. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

$50-$100 a day for something in of a 300mm f/2.8 - 400mm f/2.8 calibre :dunno:

You could also rent a 1.4x TC with one of those primes to change the reach.

12. BlackWRX02

any idea on how I can find a place to rent from while I'm there. I wouldn't mind paying that to get some good shots the first day or two

13. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

Wow, that thing looks incredible for $500. It has some significant downsides though :hs:

I was just about to say that an iPod photo with the card reader that is supposed to come out would work pretty well too, and I think that the 60GB one is $450.

14. sony

sony Active Member

Samy's Camera or other camera stores. Ask around over there or rent one where you are and bring it over. Rent friday, return monday = one day of renting. :eek4:

15. mojito

mojito New Member

what would you say those downsides are? thats its not a labtop? It has the best battery life (extremely important) of anything in its class, largest and best screen of anything in its class, very small etc

I have the Delkin version, but the battery life and lcd aren't anywhere near as good

16. mojito

mojito New Member

samys camera is a socal store, calumet has their main store and sherehouse in chicago, but I'm sure there are local places in Indi, but you'll probably want to call ahead and make a reservation, as I'm sure you aren't the only one with theat idea.

worst case scenario, you could "rent" one from a place with a good exchange policy

17. BlackWRX02

wait a minute.....explain that to me in detail :confused:

18. mojito

mojito New Member

you pick it up friday afternoon ater 3pm, you get it till 10am on monday for the cost of 1 rental day. Keep in mind that your credit card has to have room for the fuul retail value of the item as a hold is placed against it till you bring it back. Some companies only do 1.2 retail or some other amount, but Samys is full. But seing as how Samys is in Ventura and Orange county it doesn't really matter

19. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

Some stores are closed sundays -- so rentals that go over sunday are not counted as a day --- Pick it up friday night, return monday morning = 1 day of rental for Saturday

20. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

http://www.robertsimaging.com/

a good place in downtown indy, around 15 minutes from the tracks without traffic.

DESCRIPTION DAY WEEK DEPOSIT
    EF 200mm f2.8L USM $ 20.00 $ 60.00 $ 700.00
    EF 300mm f2.8L USM IS $ 60.00 $180.00 $ 4,000.00
    EF 300mm f4.0L USM $ 20.00 $ 60.00 $ 1,200.00
    EF 400mm f2.8L USM II $ 75.00 $225.00 $ 6,700.00
    EF 500mm f4.5L USM $ 60.00 $180.00 $ 5,500.00

:noes:

21. Kelvin96GSR

Kelvin96GSR OEM>YOU

400 or 500mm

and get a TC or 2

22. BlackWRX02

:bowdown:

you sir, are the fucking man!

23. MelloBoy

MelloBoy New Member

might want to make reservations as some camera stores i've been to have run out of prime equipment (not prime lenses) for major events. i heard that when the superbowl came to SD last year, one of the camera shops ran out of lenses to rent...and there aren't many in SD that you can rent from :/

melloboy

24. dmora

dmora Guest

the Retail price deposit on the lens +20-100$/day

25. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

unrelated, with a f2.8 and a TC does ap work out to?

also, do you have an ipod? if you do or can borrow one, pick up the media reader and you can dump your files to the ipod