what email client to use? Outlook and Thunderbird blow

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Nefarious77, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

I had been using Outlook 2003 for the last year and recently noticed that the program was claiming to download all my emails, but only a few actually showed up. I only found this out after checking my webmail from 3 different host and each account had mail that was never delivered. Some was very import mail that should have been dealt with weeks ago. I can't deal with this type of issue when it comes to business.

I use thunderbird at work and haven't had any problems, but at home I installed it a week ago and let it import my outlook mail and address book. Now it's giving me hell with not allowing me to delete folders that had been created in outlook, but are not needed now. The program crashes with every delete attempt and hangs constantly.

Where so I go now? I'm on an XP Pro SP2 box. I had thought about trying the bat or evolution for windows.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2006
  2. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

That wasn't the problem. I had mine set for 1 minute checks and to leave a copy on the servers for 30 days. The point was that it claimed to be downloading mail, but wasn't showing it in the inbox. I searched google and found this to be an issue with a lot of users. If I hadn't checked my webmails, I would have never gotten all my mail.

3. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

I backed up my tb profile and manually deleted the folders from the profile. Restarted tb and all seems to be well. Hopefully it won't give me any more problems.

4. Hartman

Hartman New Member

If Outlook doesn't suit your needs, you might as well hire a midget to hand deliever your mail.

5. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

Now that's an idea! :bowdown:

6. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I use Outlook Express

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I use Eudora at home and Outlook 2003 at work.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try reinstalling Thunderbird, and forcing Windows to grant you ownership and full control of all the files and folders that Thunderbird stores your email in.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

shit, if you can't get outlook or thunderbird to work, you should just step away from the computer...

10. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

webmail FTW

EDIT: squirrelMail if you have the choice

11. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Outlook 03

12. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

LOLZ

13. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I've been forwarding all my email to my GMail account since December (and using GMail to send mail from all my addresses). I'm extremely happy with it.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Mail.app is okay.

15. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I use TB because it is extremely easy to backup and transfer between computers (and cross-platform seriously FTW). It's options are also a lot more straight forward than the mess that is Outlook. As far as the problem goes though, I'd say it had more to do with Outlook than anything else, and importing from said Outlook didn't really solve anything. Best bet is to leave mail on server (at least for x-days if you can't do it indefinitely) and start with a clean profile in TB.