What else would I need?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by NoXeN, Feb 16, 2004.

1. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

That should be enough to get you started. You might want to order some more pads, try to keep a couple of each.

3. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I always wondered how the application of products works with PCs. How do you apply the product to the car? By hand, like usual? Or do you use one hand to apply and work the product in, and another to buff it off? Enlighten me. :hs:

Reed - did you see that it will be out of stock until 2/20 because of the backorder on the pads?

4. NoXeN

what pads are good to have scott? also will sfp and dacp be enough for the pc to use? anything else i should add to the arsenal? maybe some med cut?

yeah i saw that ryan, im in no hurry i guess, ive just been doing interior details

made $70 today though on a bimmer :bigok:

5. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

6. alpha_omega

alpha_omega Guest

me too..someone please answer im debating the purchase of a PC and this question has been bugging me

7. NoXeN

I believe you put a drop on the car then work it in from there

8. NoXeN

9. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Would you use a separate pad then to buff off the excess? If so, which pad would you use?

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i use the buffer to work in the polish ect its a trick to know when to stop then use a micorfiber to take it off its to easy to burn paint usinga buffer to take off stuff

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

as far as what pads i use a red cutting pad after a wet sand with cuttiong copounds thena 3m white polishing pad for polish and i do wax by hand

the polishing bad has bumps on it to keep form leaving swirl marks kinda hard to explain you will know when you see it

12. bunmango

bunmango OT Supporter

There are different color pads that correspond to different levels of agressiveness. Unfortunately, the colors aren't consistent across different manufacturers, but for the Lake Country pads:

wool - I don't even touch wool
    yellow - medium cut, I use it w/ DACP and #9
    orange - inbetween yellow and white, some people like it, some people don't
    white - polish, I use it w/ a glaze such as VM or SEPC
    grey - fine polish or wax, I use it w/ a liquid wax

I know that Meguiar's uses a different colors for their pads. There are also some pads that are contoured, but I personally don't use those. Generally speaking, a yellow pad + DACP is about as agressive as you need to get, assuming that you're a newbie and don't have the balls to step up to a rotary (like me :p )

Most people apply products straight onto the pad, and while the machine is off, spread the product using the pad over the work area. Usually what you want to do (w/ DACP and swirl removers) is work the product in until it's almost completely dry (just like applying it by hand) and then buff off the excess using a microfiber. Some like using microfiber bonnets to buff off, but I find that unnecessary.

13. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

To summarize what bunmango said, you need a cutting pad, polishing pad and a finishing pad and maybe something in between a polishing and finishing pad. You will have to get with the pad manufacturer and the polishing manufacturer to get their recommendation for pad/product combos.

14. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

also smear teh polish or whatever around with teh buffer off so it doesnt fling all over also dont pout it right on the car if the paint is like mine and you let it set to long it makes a differnt colored spot that is a bitch to get out