what dos MS consider a computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cbanta, Feb 16, 2010.

1. cbanta

cbanta New Member

I've been wondering for a while how much of a computer you'd have to replace for Microsoft to consider it a different computer and where does the licensing reside?

IE. if i took all the components out of a Dell computer and threw them into a different Case, would the licensing reside with the case (because it has the windows license)

or if i took the hard drive out of the computer and put it in a different one, is that a violation because the majority of components are in the old computer?

yes, this is somewhat of a retarded question, but so are some of Microsoft's licensing policies. (I.E. if you RDP into a computer that has office and use it, that technically requires a special office license)

any thoughts, or opinions?

2. thekraft

thekraft New Member

If you change two parts (harddrive, mobo, cpu, video card, etc), you have to call in to get another cd key. (at least, of XP, but I believe it also applies to Vista and Win7)

A full license (not OEM or systems builder) allows you to keep it on just one cmoputer, regardless of its components, but only one at a time. You DO have to go through the hassle of calling MS to get another valid CD key, though.

There's another license, usually bought by companies in bulk, that allows them to change whatever they want without any issues.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's tied to the motherboard. You replace the motherboard with anything other than a replacement for a defective one (that even includes a MB supplied by a supplier under warranty that isn't the same), the OEM license is invalid. Everything else is ok.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

OEM licenses are invalidated by replacing the motherboard or the CPU (both of which have serial numbers embedded in them, but if you build your own you can disable the CPU serial number so you don't get burned if the CPU fries), but retail licenses have a more relaxed policy of replacing one part every six months or something to that effect. Basically the reason MS charges less for OEM licenses is because you're giving away the option to upgrade the hardware substantially without having to pay again.

5. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

i have changed out a video card and had the licensing screen pop up telling me to call MS.

also, you don't get a new product key, they just activate it on their end. they do make you read off a long digit code to them and then they read one to you back...

either way, they wont really know or care.

if you call and tell them you have to swap out part x,y,z they just go through the procedure, they don't get technical with you.

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Having to jump through bullshit hoops like these is what fuels the development of license cracks and other bypasses.

Even when I buy software legit I often download a cracked exe for it just so I don't have to deal with this shit or have the DVD in the drive when I want to use it (for games mainly)

7. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

i spent 2 hours on the phone with my CDW rep and IT director from our parent company. it will costs us $250,000 to implement volume licensing for office, and a few server licenses.

i mean, if they were a little more reasonable with their pricing, it would help.

then again, large companies are stuck buying the software so MS has them by the balls.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Windows is pretty much indispensable, but virtually everything else they offer is replaceable with other products.

Try managing something resembling an Active Directory domain in *nix, and unless you've been doing it already for years, you'll switch back to Windows right quick.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

I don't see how that is possible unless you're upgrading to Windows 7, in which case this has nothing to do with volume licensing, it has to do with uprading from one OS to newer OS (which is still cheaper than buying retail).

10. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Yeah, I thought it was all hardware, but I could be wrong. And yeah, it's the activation code or whatever the huge number is, not the cd key. Good call.

11. cbanta

cbanta New Member

We use CDW too, if your buying multiple things, you can sometimes get them to drop pricing (the lady in our department that buys all our stuff is awesome at getting deals!) but yeah, we have to get some more office licenses, you'd think it would get cheaper when you have to purchase large numbers of the product...

12. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

but then sometimes i don't get it at all...its weird (after replacing hardware).

13. 5Gen_Prelude

BTW, just for clarification, it's just the motherboard:

CPU upgrades are permissible.