GUN What does WMD think of this situation?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copperhead035, Jan 1, 2008.

1. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I was trolling a local messageboard, when I came across this:

Cliff's:

Guy answers the door brandishing a loaded gun, because he didn't recognize the people that knocked on his door. They didn't have the chance to show any bad intent, or even why they were there. Both sides called the cops, they show up and let him off, but give him a lecture on firearm safety.

I think the guy was way out of line in how he approached the situation, but I was wondering what everyone else's opinion might be.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

IMO I don't think he did anything wrong, if I had kids in the house I'd be a little nervous too. I can't think of any reason that they should be on his property that late at night and it would have pissed me off too if they kept ringing the bell. They had cell phones, if they needed help they probably would have called a friend or something.

I'd rather tell someone selling something at 9:30pm to fuck off 99 times than to open the door for one person who wants something or someone in my house.

The kids sounded like a bunch of pricks anyway. It's his house, he can open the door with an RPG as long as it's he can legally own it.

3. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

When I was a kid we had a house fire and we had to temporarily live in a rental house that wasn't in the greatest of neighborhoods. Around 10:30 one weekday evening we heard some loud banging on the front door and some guys just yelling at the top of their lungs. My dad made my mother and sister go to the back room, he grabbed his vest and G21 (he was an active LEO at the time), and handed me the 12ga he kept next to his bed. He had me sitting in a position opposite him, away from the door, but with a clear line of sight right through the cheap wooden door that house had. He told me to do what I was told and that if he said to shoot, to fire and keep firing through the door. He then approached the door much like the guy in the story did and told the guys to step away from the door. They laughed and started saying something about letting them in and to stop playing around. My dad figured they were some drunk guys who had the wrong house, so he opened the front door with his gun pointed down at the ground and sternly told them that they definitely had the wrong house. The guys looked at the house numbers, said "oh shit", and then turned and ran off.

We found out the next day that they were on the wrong side of the street when our neighbor from across the street came over and apologized for the behavior of his friends the night before. Apparently they wanted to call the cops on us when the guy flatly told them that my dad WAS the police (my dad had said he was an officer repeatedly, but they must have missed that).

That was the first time I was ever in a defense situation and was DAMNED glad I had gone shooting before. I think the guy in the story answered the door just fine and he should be able to answer it with a fucking M240 if he can legally own it (as Keesh said).

4. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

if you knock on someone's door and they ask you to fuck off, you leave. On the first request. I'm pretty sure you can open fire in Texas if they don't piss off after being asked three times

and why are the cops doing a song and dance about weapon safety, home protection and all that jack shit? i would has asked them to kindly leave. What right do they have to even examine your weapon?

it's like the cops giving you a lecture about drunk driving when you're sober.

5. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

They don't, the officers had nothing at all to go on but conjecture from the men who called them and said they were confronted with a gun.

The guy probably opened his door, invited the cops in and talked with them and admitted it all most likely to just avoid having any hassles.

Though if the cops ever come to your house, exit to the outside, close the door behind you, and talk to them outside. If they ask to come in ask to see their search warrant (which they won't have) and if they try to insist then you get their name, rank, and badge numbers. Chances are the cops will back off at that point, but if they don't, you call your attorney.

It pays to have an attorney on retainer, people. I don't just say that because I'm in law school, when I get out I plan to use my contacts and get representation myself. Even lawyers call other lawyers, they almost never attempt to represent themselves (more protections if you don't).

6. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Home owner was right, he did nothing wrong. The punks are the ones that need a lecture.

7. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I'm not sure I would have openly carried a weapon to the door in my hand, its seems to become a little fuzzy on legal open carry on private property, but this was already drawn . . . I don't know.

However from his description of them, being no one he knew, out of place in the area and repeatedly knocking/ringing when being asked to leave, I would have definitely had my carry on me and the holster probably unsnapped too.

Still I wonder what the guys actually wanted.

8. ReefBlue

ReefBlue New Member

Open carry in your own home is legal unless you're in somewhere that have laws regarding leaving guns locked and unloaded. Only a couple places in the Country have that--California I think, and NYC.

I'd answer the door with a gun in my hand if I thought something was out of place.

9. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

As I said on said local message board; I wouldn't have opened the door. Opening the door just seems like a good way to let them on in. If you don't open the door, and they come in anyways, well then, do what you have to do.

10. Blip

Blip Active Member

Dude, you live in FL, isn't it the law to answer the door with a gun in your hand there?:mamoru:

11. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

In FL answer the door with a gun on my hip :mamoru:

12. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

It's not fuzzy at all with open carry on private property.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/m...rida-Firearms-Law-Use-And-Ownership-Book-Info

Please go buy this book and read it so that you may be properly informed.

13. GTP

GTP New Member

I wouldn't have opened my door. I would grab my VZ and Tokarev as backup and point it at the door and wait for them to knock it down or go away. If they start knocking it down have the wife call 911 and trigger finger ready?

14. Chris51080

Chris51080 I like pie

I would have done the same thing as the homeowner. Answer the door with my pistol at my side, tell the people outside that they need to leave; and if they refuse, make sure they notice the pistol. I wouldn't have pointed it anywhere other than the ground unless they made some threatening movements.

Guy did what he should have, the cops did their job by giving the standard gun safety lecture.

15. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

+1 :o

16. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

If I were him I wouldn't have opened the door, but if for some reason it seemed necessary, I would have done so while keeping the gun concealed behind the door or behind my leg or something.

17. t1h

t1h Guest

i don't think the guy did anything wrong. if he's legally allowed to own firearms, he should be able to answer it with whatever he wants. here, there are routinely stories in the paper about people answering their door and the crooks barging into their house, tying them up, stealing their money/car. i don't want to be one of those stats. better safe then sorry

18. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

bran·dish [bran-dish] Pronunciation Key
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to shake or wave, as a weapon; flourish: Brandishing his sword, he rode into battle.
    –noun
    2. a flourish or waving, as of a weapon.
    [Origin: 1275–1325; ME bra(u)ndisshen < AF, MF brandiss- (long s. of brandir, deriv. of brand sword < Gmc). See brand, -ish2]

—Related forms
    bran·dish·er, noun

—Synonyms 1. swing, flaunt, wield, display.

I think he was perfectly fine and justified in doing what he did in that situation. I'm tired of hearing about dumbasses who run and answer the door at 10pm and don't look who it is...and all of a sudden it's home invasion time. I'd do the exact same thing if I was in his situation.

19. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

12 noon if you come to my door and I dont know you :squint:

I have a gun at all times while at home and if the door bell rings :coolugh: I get it ready cause all my friends knock

and I can see out the peep hole and around the corner through a small window

20. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

:embd:

the guy didn't even bother to wonder what they wanted:ugh:, maybe a couple kids with a flat two houses down that were simply asking to borrow a jackstand or something...

i would have to question them as to why they were beating on my door, before flashing my sidearm....:dunno:

21. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

lol stupid fucks shouldnt walk into peoples houses

in that thread did they find out what they wanted?

22. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

must suck to have to live in a place such as yours:sadwavey:

small southern towns FTW

23. James Hook

James Hook Never trust a government that doesn't trust its ow

I get weird knocks on my door all the time. Mostly drunks in my apt complex. I would have done the same thing if I was him.

24. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

Nope, never did find out.

25. mongorunner

mongorunner New Member

obviously:o

worst crime thats happened here was jimmy got his bike stolen by the neighborhood bully:wtc: