GUN what does WMD think of these reloading setups ...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by affende, Jun 25, 2009.

1. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

keep in mind i will be reloading (for at least the next 2 years) only .45 ACP .... i have nothing else to reload at this point ... so multi-caliber setups are not needed for me right now ...

$500 is my budget .... it would be nice to get a setup for 3-400 and leave a little extra for other things (case cleaner would be awesome)

also keep in mind i have ZERO knowledge of reloading ... but i also want a nicer (read: not single case at a time) reloader. Something that can grow with me would be nice.

first option: Lee Load Master

http://leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1245884630.4532=/html/catalog/ldmas.html

ready to run setup: $350 (i have found this elsewhere for $244)
    Primer feeder: $25
    Bullet Feeder: $34
    multi tube adapter for bullet feeder: $25

Total: $434 + tax + shipping from Lee .... $328 for the whole package from the other place ... same part number as Lee.

Second option: Dillion Precision ... Square B deal

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25237/catid/1/Dillon_Square_Deal___039_B__039_

fairly bare bones with a case gauge for $381

my opinions .... i think i like the LEE ... it can be equipped with an auto case feeder, auto primer feeder, and auto bullet feeder for sub $500 (even going through Lee directly which is more expensive).

the Dillion does not have an auto case feeder or an auto bullet feeder ... though the dillion reputation does precede it.

i like easy ... and i like swift.

what are WMDs opinions?

as always, constructive criticism, flaming, general hatred and name calling is welcome.

what else will i need (manuals i know, case trimmers? extra shit .... etc?) .... as i said, i dont know much of reloading at this point.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I've had good luck with Lee. Dillon stuff is very nice. For the $500 budget I'd get the lee and a nice scale.

3. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

.45 ACP should be really easy on whatever press you get, that Lee should be fine for that. I have plenty of Lee dies and I cannot complain, I run an old RCBS Jr. 2 press that my grandfather bought new in the 60's so I cannot comment on their presses. Dillon has a huge cult following though so they are good too, you can't really go wrong with either IMO. I'd buy the Lee for the best price you can get it and spend the rest on components or other handy tools like caseholders.

4. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

IB yar and Dillon worship

5. bobotech

bobotech New Member

Dillon vs Lee?

Dillon all the way.

No offense to the Lee people but I love my 2 blue presses.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yeah no question I would say dillon although I would not recomend the square deal. Mostly because it does not take standard dies.

I would say go with a 550 at the bare minimum. It's hard to swallow for a first time reloader but I think the best machine is the 650 w/ the case feed. All said and done with all the extras you need like decent calipers, primer flip tray, tumbler, good scale, and primer tubes your in it $1000.

You can get the Lee, I wouldn't. Plenty people start with the Lee, but if they are serious they go to a Dillon at some point. I know a lot and I mean a lot of shooters. Everyone with the exception of one fool is on a dillon.

Nothing wrong with the 550, you can find them used. I still use mine for odd jobs. When I get more into precision long range rifles and bolt guns I'm going to use the 550 a lot more for it. Many long range and sniper match dudes who put serious rounds down range are using 550's instead on single stage presses. You get the uniquetek tool head clamp, good dies, and a rcbs uniflow or some other more precise powder measure and you can make some really good ammo.

7. bobotech

bobotech New Member

If all you are going to be loading is one or two pistol calibers, then the square deal is a perfect press. I like them better than the 550 because of its autoindexing. They are very fast to run.

but if you load a lot of various calibers, then yeah, the die changes are pricey on the SDB. Figure about 90 dollars a caliber change on the SDB. With the 550-650, its the price of the dies (lets say 35 dollars) plus the price of the toolhead.

So if you are comparing SDB to 550 and you are planning on only 1 caliber or so, then I don't see any real advantage to the 550 other than the case feeder which is a big expense in itself.

8. affende

yeah ... a grand for a setup is a PITA .... i like my $500 budget slightly better.

i mean, im rich as fuck ... but im no mf101 :mamoru:

dillion definitely has its following and its reputation behind it. but for a single stage press, without dies, without auto case feeding, without primer flip tray, without auto bullet feeding ....

there are a lot of "withouts" in there :rofl:

i do respect your opinion though ... you have likely forgotten more about handgunning and reloading than i will know in a lifetime. but spare cash is few and far between for me (the guys i teach make more on unemployment in a month than i do teaching for the commonwealth of virginia :ugh2::ugh2: ). so cost is the biggest concern.

9. affende

thats what im leaning towards.

lee press, case cleaner, scale, case gauge, and consumables.

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

A good friend of mine loads on one of those Lees, and has for quite some time. I'm wanting to say the only problems he had was setting it up (I think it wasn't exactly ready to go out of the box, and some things took some tweaking/polishing), and I think the primer system was pretty strange.

He tried trading me the press and a rifle for my 550B. I told him to get fucked.

11. affende

all of the reviews i have read say the same thing ....

shitty instructions for setup ... and that setup is critical and takes a few hours.

older reviews are about 50% complaining of primer feeding issued and case loader issues ..... but the problems seem to taper off in recent years ... at least somewhat.

i might just bite the bullet and spring for a slightly more expensive dillion setup .... though a single stage press is a big drawback for me.

12. bobotech

bobotech New Member

I'm not sure I get what you mean. The SDB is a full progressive and isn't a single stage.

What is a drawback to you in regards to the Dillon?

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Dillon does not make a single stage. If your refering to the 550 it's a manual index which to me is not a huge deal. Manual index is good for some things. If your loading compressed loads or loads where the powder is very close to the case mouth the auto index tends to spill a lot of powder, making a mess and taking a lot of consistency out of your loads. People do a lot of tweaking to get their auto indexing presses to index slower or more smoothly to keep spilling down. On a manual index spilling is much less of a problem because you control how it indexes to the next station. I think this is why it is the precision rifle loaders progressive press of choice.

The 550 also has the best priming system. It's pretty much idiot proof. The priming systems of various machines is a whole other topic. Short story is if you want the simplest, least maintence, least trouble then the 550 primer system is the way to go.

If your going to load several calibers then the 550 is the easiest and least expensive machine to switch around as far as progressives go. Really there is a lot to like about 550's. Most everyone seems to start on one when they get into gun games. You can either sell it if you outgrow it and it holds it's value, or keep it as it is still useful if you move to a bigger machine.

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yeah, what's been said. The SDB is a progressive and NOT a single stage press.

The SDB drawbacks are that it will only do Pistol ammo, the dies are proprietary and swapping cartridges is a pain/costly.

Here's my new stance for "on the fence" reloaders.

If you want to get into reloading, DO NOT do it thinking it will save you ANY money. Do it because you love to shoot, and tinker with load development.

You do not save money, you will only shoot twice as much.

with that said, if I was forced to chose between a Lee Pro and a SDB, I'd get the SDB.

15. affende

i was talking about the 550 ... my original statement was unclear .... and misinformed.

i thought the 550 was a single stage. manual index wouldnt be a problem.

eventually i do want to start reloading other calibers, including 9mm, 204 ruger and 22-250.

im really not loving the SDB .... but the 550 has features that i like better.

the reason i want to get into money is so i can shoot more often and get better consistency between loads. i have a few thousand .45 brass casings sitting around oxidizing. i have wanted to get into reloading for the last few years.

16. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

No one mentioned RCBS. Is there a reason?

The rockchukar kit is like $349

this is a single stage

17. affende

i looked at some RCBS setups ... and the cheapest one i found was $400+ ... and was single stage ... not my idea of cost efficient.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Go to youtube and look at some of the lee classic turret videos.