GUN what does WMD think about the p22?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jimmybuffett, Mar 25, 2006.

1. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

Ok, so I have some money to blow on a gun. Ive been throwing around the idea of a Sig 220, another Glock, or an XD. In order to buy any other those, I need to save a little while longer.

But I found a NIB p22 locally for about $280ish. I dont really have a cheap plinker pistol ( we have a Smith and Wesson K22, but its old, in mint condition, we dont shoot it) and we have an older ruger mII but its a jam-o-matic and i really dont like shooting it.

the dilemma is this. im trying to get my girlfriend into shooting. she really doesnt like shooting my glock 9mms. too much recoil. so if i buy a 22, i think she will really enjoy shooting with me for once. so its kind of a double buy. i want it, i think they are cool, plus my girlfriend will go shooting with me more often. and someday i can give it to her for protection ( if you're going to bitch about the performance of a 22, just leave the thread. if shes comfortable with it, a 22 is better than nothing)

so.....do i buy the p22? or do i save up (selfishly) and buy another 9mm, or a 45 for just me?:eek3:

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well first I think you might be able to get one a bit cheaper then that, I dont own one, want to get one eventually, you say the rugers a jamamatic, sure its not the ammo your using? I hear the P22 is pretty picky with what ammo it will shoot reliably.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Its tiny and people talk about how picky they are to feed. Rimfire will always be less reliable than centerfire and I think thats a dangerous thing in a defense gun. If you insist on something small I'd suggest a .22 mag revolver. If a round doesn't fire, she just pulls the trigger again, its still small but has a bit more oomph. Something like the taurus 941 maybe.

4. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

well, its an old gun. and even when its not jamming, i just dont find it fun to shoot. its not accurate, it jams, thats reason enough to justify another gun right?:naughty:

i was going to buy a p22 next year for her either way, but i have the money now, and i think id like to get her started earlier

5. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

ive been lurking walther forums and whatnot about it, and it seems the earlier models had alot of problems, but p22's made after 03' seem to be just fine.

my aunt bought one last year, i may steal hers for a weekend and try it out, let michelle shoot it, see what she thinks

6. CString

CString New Member

i like it. i don't have big hands though. the biggest complaint i hear about them is that it's too small.

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i like it. i'll own one soon

8. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I like them and so does my wife. It was the first gun that she shot actually. Thats how I got her into shooting. Now she'll try anything. I've been wanting to get one for a long time also, but other guns keep calling me.

9. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Go for that, if the woman likes it, get the p22 and she'll be more likely to go along with future gun purchases. If she doesn't save up and buy yourself something nice.

10. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

I like them. But I'm like the Mosquito better

11. mvizos

mvizos New Member

:werd: I handled both, but wound up with mosquito just because I liked the looks / feel of it more than the p22. Several thousand rounds later, no problems.

12. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

i got mine for around 250 back then. use to be picky with ammo, after it breaks in it runs a lot smoother. the first 3000 rounds i had to run hot ammo (velocitors) other wise some kinda jaming/failure ever 5-6 rounds or so. now it runs cheapo ammo all the time.

if i had the choice again i might have picked the mosquito. but at the time it was quite more expensive.

13. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

See if you like it. I think the grip is too small.

14. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

yea, im worried the grip may be to small for even me to shoot. id like to enjoy it also.....i may look at the mosquito...how much they run?

15. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

they have 3 backstraps. so make sure u try the biggest if its just slightly too small.

16. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:wiggle: a local dealer sells the black one for $246

i think i might go pay him a visit

17. Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan

Peter O'Hanraha-hanrahan OT Supporter

i like mine a lot :dunno:

18. stavie

stavie New Member

I have had mine for a long time. I think I some where north 2-3000 rounds through it. At first it did not like anything but CCI Mini Mags. Now it will eat anything with out issue.