GUN What does WMD know about crimson trace?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], May 4, 2009.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

9 times out of 10 I would not go with a laser, I would go with tru glo or another night sight, but I have a j-frame with fixed front and rear sights, so I figure in low light a crimson trace might be an acceptable solution.

Does anyone know or have any experience with the differences between the regular rubber overmold style and the defender series?

2. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I know that they are fucking badass on small revolvers and that they're good people who stand behind their product.

Anything that you would point shoot from presentation can benefit from these.

3. One of my buddies has a J-frame with a CT grip. Lasers don't make much sense on most guns, but if there's one type of gun they do make sense on, it's a small pistol for SD. I like it a lot.

4. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

had one on my s&w 686.worked good.but the grip itself sucked

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

They make a good product.

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

well I am glad to know people seem to like them on the type of pistol I am looking at putting one on. I guess I just need to decide which one, the defender series is the cheapest and seems to be meant for carry, but then there are the rubber overmold and the extended rubber overmold. . . decisions decisions.

7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

I like lasers for training purposes though, you can see how someone is fucking up and teach them a proper sight picture easier

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

for guns like j-frames i think they're great. the sight radius on j-frames are pretty short, and its a blade front sight (which isnt worth shit in the dark).

9. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

If you're gonna get a laser, CT is the way to go, they are very robust. With that said, I don't like lasers for any of my pistols, people tend to focus on them only and they sight picture and other fundamentals go out the window.

10. johnson

johnson New Member

I will get the LG-402 for my j-frame eventually.

11. You're going to put a Beretta CT grip on your J-Frame? :o I assume you meant 405.

12. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I was thinking about getting CT grips for my XD9SC. I hesitate to do the LaserMax guide rod replacement, just because the Guide rod is a pretty important part of the weapon, and I'd rather leave it OEM.

There are a couple reasons I wanted to get a laser - first off, I already shoot pretty capably but I know I can get better - a laser/snap caps can help point out some of the bad flaws in my shooting.

The main reason I wanted to get a laser is something that my CHL instructor said - he's been a cop and a firearms instructor for a long time, and he said that he's seen that tell tale "red dot" appearing on someone's shirt just completely shut them down and turn them into a compliant, polite person who just a minute ago was about to tear someone's head off.

He said that he's seen guys have 4 guns pointed at them, and they're still raging - but the second that red dot appears on their shirt, I guess they actually believe that they are going to get shot :dunno:

Anyway, I think it will also help my wife get more lead on target. I think it's worth it.

13. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

This seems very hollywood, but I suppose it could be true.

ETA: I am not calling you a liar.

14. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Most people's gun experience is from watching Hollywood. I'd buy the fact that people wouldn't think they were going to get shot unless they saw a red laser dot or heard a cocking noise.

15. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

My wife knew nothing about guns and was nervious about me having a cocked and locked 1911. She still won't keep a round chambered in her 9mm.

Kinda funny really.

I handed the 1911 to her unloaded with the slide locked back and told her to shake it. OMG it rattles :rofl: Yeah that's about the only noise it makes until it goes boom.

Fucking hollywood.

16. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Austin1911 was in the same class :big grin: And Shen - In the story, I think it may have BEEN a taser now that I think about it.

I'm probably butchering the story, but a girl was injured, and there was a first responder tending to her and the girl's boyfriend/husband? is this HUGE black dude, and comes raging out like he wants to pick her up or something and IIRC got a taser drawn on him, but didn't calm down until the red dot came on :o

Anyway, the CT grips for my gun are out of stock just about everywhere, and I need to save up for it anyway. Maybe I'll ask for it for Father's Day or something. :o

17. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:rofl::bowdown::bigthumb:

18. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Why the 405 over the 105?

19. Werm

Werm Guest

Carefull bro... that's adding weight to the rear of the gun. You might have to get a bigger flashlight to handle the muzzle kick.

20. Werm

Werm Guest

How is that trolling? You fucking said you have a flashlight on your glock to help control muzzle kick. Did you not?

Adding weight to the back will cause a problem then, won't it? :hsugh:

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

how much weight do you think CT grips add? :hsugh:

22. They're like 100 pounds, right?

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

ding ding ding stay on the line, caller and an intern will take down your contact information

24. Werm

Werm Guest

I don't know... but you never know with him. He shoots with his flashlight to control muzzle kick or something. Apparently his limp little wrists can't handle it.

25. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

...a light on a handgun does help with muzzle flip.

I don't know what the objection to this concept is.

'Muzzle kick' doesn't even make sense.